1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OES XP vs. "off-the-shelf" from Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mark4man, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

People,

Windows XP (Home), which came loaded on my new Dell, has always performed screwy (even after a total uninstall/drive reformatting/reinstall.)

Device drivers cause audio apps (& the OS itself) to crash . . . Windows Explorer shuts down unexpectedly . . . along with numerous other minor problems.

The worst thing of all is, "System Restore" has never worked . . . never. Dell doesn't even know the answer to that one.

I have heard that OS's, particularly XP, which are packaged as a partnership deal with various PC mfg.'s (which I've heard referred to as OEM Operating Systems), work crappy.

Is this true?

Are the System Files set up differently? Are they screwed up because they're not a pure Microsoft OS release? Or, is there no difference in the way they're structured at all.

As a PC audiophile (I do a lot of work with digital audio multutracking/recording apps . . . SONAR, WaveLab, etc.), am I better off with an off-the-shelf version of XP?

Thanks,

mark4man

BTW - If so, what should I be looking for on the box? (i.e., latest release, etc.) Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice