1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Off/On Ping Spikes/Complete Disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EveryNamesTaken, Mar 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EveryNamesTaken

EveryNamesTaken Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I've come here out of complete desperation/frustration. Recently I have noticed these off/on periods of either extremely high ping spiking or just complete disconnection from the internet (mostly while playing games). I'm fairly certain this is on my ISP's end, as I have used the command prompt function to simultaneously ping my router and an external IP (google.com) while having said issues. The ping on the router never goes above ~5ms while the external address will ping as high as 1500ms and/or saying "Request timed out".

Thoughts on what is causing this/if there is something I can do to fix it? So far the only remedy for me has been to just wait it out until my connection returns to normal (sometimes takes upwards of an hour), but during this time I do have internet connectivity, albeit not very useful during anything that requires continuous data.

Attached Files:

2. EveryNamesTaken

EveryNamesTaken Thread Starter

Bump...would love to get some input on this

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry I didn't happen to notice this thread when you first posted it.

Some questions and thoughts ...

What type of service (cable, DSL, ...) do you have? Who is the provider?

Do you have a separate modem? Whether a separate modem or combined with the router can you access any logs or signal strength info on it (probably addressed by 192.168.100.1)?

You may need to spend some "quality" time on the phone with your ISP's tech support--preferably when the problem is occurring.

(Most of my thoughts will come after I see the answers to the above questions. :) )

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Looking at the ping record on Google 216.58.217.14, if you are connected wireless and you have only encountered this recently I would as the first approach, try a different wireless channel.

The pattern seems to suggest interference.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You did - did it help please

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice