1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Off-site FTP solutions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by TacticalSniper, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TacticalSniper

TacticalSniper Thread Starter

Hey all,

One of my customers is looking for a particular solution and I was wondering if you have any experience with those.

Basically, it's a small publishing house, they need a server to exchange files with customers. They need to be able to set up folders for customers and assign logins. Customers shouldn't be able to see each other's files - just the ones in a folder assigned to them.

I've checked out ShareFile - however the bandwidth limit is a killer. Box.net looks good in this respect, except one huge downside: no straighout MacOS support.

Any ideas? Any?.. Ideas?..

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What about the title of your thread? FTP? Customers can access and sign into FTP with browsers (though IE makes that very difficult now, FF lists FTP files in a hierarchy and allows simple logon).

3. TacticalSniper

TacticalSniper Thread Starter

Right. I'm looking for something simplier than simple FTP. W/ MSIE 8+ it's difficult to connect to FTP. W/ MacOS it's impossible w/out a client. I need a way simplier solution.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not a web server? The FTP solution would have been very simple a few years ago when I could get FTP pages easily in IE. But security concerns have changed all that.

I'm sure how you'd set up a password on an HTTP server, but you may be able to redirect to a sign-in page. I'll have to give this one more thought.

Of course, there are all kinds of file-sharing sites, many free if the amount of data is small.

http://www.filehosting.org/

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. amos34

amos34

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/895189