Offer to donate to Helponthenet?

grandpaw7

Would it be inappropriate to offer to donate a stated amount to Helponthenet if someone can solve a particular problem in a timely manner, where the alternative is to go to a pay for support site? grandpaw

Hmmmn.
I can see your logic but surely altruism is, or at least should be free? Isn't that the true spirit of this site?
I for one freely give of any modicom of knowledge that I may possess. Its probably also a 'feel good factor' that motivates most if not all of us here to some extent , and that's enough for me.

Tech Guy, I'd be interested in your view here.

grandpaw7

Mike, I agree with you about altruism, although the pleasure I've gotten out of "alturistic acts", and maybe even some recognition ("Hey what a neat guy you are") makes me wonder if I'm doing anything for free since I feel so well compensated. This may be something like doing something for someone who promises to donate to the Red Cross or put in some hours at Habitat for Humanity (low income housing built by volunteers). It won't benefit the tech except in an indirect way, the same way it will benefit the community. But I can see that Helponthenet may not want it just as a matter of policy. I expect it could give rise to disputes that might be avoided otherwise. That's why I asked in advance. Of course, I could always donate to Helponthenet, which I have, but I'm needing more substantial help than I probably can get for free without some special arrangement, and I would like for Helponthenet to have the money rather than someone else. I'll wait to see if there are any further readings on the question. thanks for replying. grandpaw

grandpaw7

PS. Actually, I've already gone to MS paid support for $35 and also to Tech24 for I'm not sure how much, but a pretty low figure. So I guess my question is for future guidance. There is the factor of getting more motivated to donate the more and better "victories" one experiences. grandpaw

grandpaw7

Thanks, John, and thanks also to your trusty Commodore. I should have remembered that donations are now going to the New York Firemen's Fund because I recently made a donation to them that I had intended originally for Helponthenet. I've decided that what I asked about doing is not such a good idea. My donations to helponthenet, when it starts taking them again, will be in gratitude for services I've received rather than for services I want to receivie. grandpaw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online