1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2000 and Vista

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by exportman, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exportman

exportman Thread Starter

Is it true that if I buy a new computer loaded with MS Vista, I can not install my Office 2000 software on it?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I've read some mixed things. They say it works, but seem to have the most issues with MS Outlook. Error messages, etc.

3. exportman

exportman Thread Starter

I don't use Outlook but do use Outlook Express, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and others. If I thought I could buy a laptop with Vista and have access to all the features just outlined I would buy it today. But if Vista can't recognize a perfectly workable Word, Excel, etc., maybe I'll just try to find a laptop with XP. Any thoughts??

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Decided to do some actual testing for you.

Just installed Office2000 on a clean install of Vista.

It easily open, edited and saved about 6 files each of Word and Excel.

So it does recognize a perfectly workable Word, Excel file. Hope the details help.

5. exportman

exportman Thread Starter

Bob Cerelli
    Thanks very much. That's what I was looking for. Gonna go out and buy a laptop w/vista in the next week or so.

6. exportman

exportman Thread Starter

Here's an update on my earlier inquiry.

Just bought the new laptop with Vista. Loaded in Office 2000 and Word, Excel, PwrPt, Access all work fine. Don't use Outlook so haven't tried it. I also loaded in 10 other software such as Photoshop, Street & Trips, etc and all work perfectly with Vista even though they were originaly developed for earlier versions of Windows.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

did you try outlook?:cool:

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Regarding Outlook 2000 and Vista as quoted from slipstick.com

Regards,
    Rollin

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So just don't use the Address book in Outlook2000. The Contacts work just fine.

10. tsnaji

tsnaji

I've been pretty disappointed with my Vista system so far. It's a sluggish, annoying memory hog, but even more than that, some of my programs haven't been working properly, including my copy of Excel 2000.

I can't run an Excel Workbook I have, called XLProfiler (a program that creates ICC profiles for color management purposes). This program uses a lot of macros and requires the solver add-in, all of which worked fine on my last XP system. On Vista, however, I can't run my program. I get an error and Excel crashes. It's very frustrating, almost to the point of installing XP.

-Stan

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Is the problem with Excel or with the program called XLProfiler

So far haven't had problems with Excel or Word2000. Have you tried running them as administrator?

What are the hardware specs on the computer. As will all new windows operating systems, what hardware level ran the previous version well typically doesn't perform as well with the newer one. Nothing new there.

12. tsnaji

tsnaji

I'm certain the problem I'm having is because of my new vista system. The program XLProfiler (which is simpley an Excel Workbook) worked fine on my old XP system. It contains many macros, which I suspect are causing the problems.

As far as the hardware I'm running, it's similar to my last computer. I have a Dell Inspiron E1705. This processor is a Pentium Core2 Duo 2GHz T7200, faster than my last. I wish I knew how to solve my problem with Excel, because I love the XLProfiler.

Aside from that program, all of my other Excel files work without incident. I've had some other problems with Vista, though, mainly with .dll's that weren't compatible. Enough to drive me crazy.

-Stan

13. ericchanning

ericchanning

Fortunately, I didn't trust what the BestBuy sales people told me before buying the "capatable" version of Office for my Vista OS.

It came with a two month trial version of Office '07. Never really got used to it but when it expired, I was faced with a bill TO HAVE or TO HAVE NOT.

Well, after loading other XP MS software products successfully, I figured it would be worth trying and lo and behold, it installed and runs fine.

I wrote a nasty gram to BestBuy corporate challenging their business ethics and letting them know that they suck and I'll be passing the word. I'm sure the 19 year old CSR will loose sleep over it but hey, I feel better!

What p*sses me off is they were so damn definitive about it. Liers.

14. Jack1000

Jack1000

Bob,

What about the Help file in each of those programs? I've heard some reports that Office 2000 or below's Help files do not work on Vista.

Jack

15. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The problem with people who know enough to be dangerous is they're dangerous.

Make sure you read all recommendations for software. Vista should not have any Office suite lower than Office 2003 for best results.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice