1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

office 2000 sr-1 premium

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by propagandi, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. propagandi

propagandi Thread Starter

I am currently running Office 2003 and have recently installed some Excel based software on my computer. Every time I try to load the new software it takes a little over a minute to load, but before it does a window pops up asking me to insert the 'Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Premium Disk', even though I only have Office 2003. I have to cancel it 3 or 4 times before it goes away and the Excel based software loads, then everything runs fine. This is a new computer and has only ever had office 2003 installed on it and I do not have the office 2000 cd, also every other computer I try to run this software on, runs fine, and loads very fast.

I did have a simmilar problem with another peice of software in the past, when I opened other programs a window would apear asking me to insert a cd for this other software. I called tech support and it was a simple fix, create a new folder in the problem software's directory and call it 'tool'. Everything works great after that. I am hopping this is just as easy a problem to solve, Microsoft help desk keeps jerking me around and the publishers of the excel based software have never encountered this problem and don't have a clue.

Any help somebody could give me would be wonderful, thanks.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If you have Office 2003 (which includes Xcel), what was the "excel based software" that you have loaded?

If its an application using runtime modules designed for Excel 2000 then perhaps you are missing a file, and should contact the "excel based software" suppliers?

3. propagandi

Thats what I thought at first, however I have installed the software on five of the computers at my office, three desktops, and two laptops.
    Two desktops have been upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and have no problems,
    One desktop is still running 2000, it had the same problem, but inserting the disk fixed it,
    One laptop was upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and has the problem,
    One laptop is newer and had 2003 when I bought it new and has the problem,
    From what I understand, the software was created in office 2000, and agree I probably am missing a file, however, I do not know what file or how to get it. And why would it work on some 2003 computers but not others? The authors of the software do not know why this is happening and have only experienced one other case of this.

When it asks for the disk, if I click Browes it says its looking for 'DATA1'. If anybody knows how to eliminate this problem or find the file its looking for so that I can put a fake one in or copy one from another computer, it would be appreciated. The software runs fine even though it is asking for the 2000 disk, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't need the file, I just want it to stop asking me to insert the disk because it causes the software to take a long time to load. Thanks.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I assume the file is actually "data1.msi"?

That is the installer containing the installation instructions for Office 2000 premium, so its clearly looking for something (and finding it on those PC's that have had 2000 installed).

Sounds more like a bug in the "Excel application" where its got a dependency on a file (if it can find it).

5. propagandi

Thanks for the help. I used a friends computer who had office 2000 and the same error, I inserted the disk and now it runs fine. After letting it install what ever it was looking for I searched for recently modified files and I believe I found what it was looking for but I don't know what the files are and it wont let me copy them because the computer says they are in use. I don't have the list I made on me so I can't remember exactly what they were, but there was three of them and there was two located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config and one in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem. Can I get a quick description of what these files do, if somebody knows. I will put up the names of the files when i get them.
    Thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice