1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2000 to office 2007 questions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by horsewoman, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horsewoman

horsewoman Thread Starter

I want to upgrade to '07 form '00. I want to know if I can use the academic pro full version or do I need an upgrade. Also, do I have to remove 2000 first and will I be able to open and edit my 8 yrs. of files created in 2000?
    Also, what is the difference between Academic and Standard? Is there any difference in the way they operate, load, etc?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

I don't know what the "academic pro full version" is. Your files are safe, however, and will work in 2007 just fine. Not sure about upgrading. You may be able to. But if you're going to buy it, I'm not sure that's actually an issue. When you say "Academic" do you mean "Student & Teacher" edition? The only difference in Office versions is the applications which come along in the suite. 2003 had some differences in the applications, but I don't think 2007 does.

The two big changes in 2007 is 1) the file formats (which are ISO compliant and have their own standards - which is actually a huge accomplishment!!), and 2) the Ribbon has replaced the command bars. I would recommend not having multiple versions of Office, but you can do it. I did it for a long time, there are just some issues that you'll have, most you probably won't ever realize. I had 2000, 2002 (aka XP) and 2003 all simultaneously installed on one machine working just fine. Worked great for testing purposes. I also had a machine with 2003 and 2007 both on and it worked well. Now I just use 2007 and do not have any other versions (my wife still clutches her 2003 on the home desktop). IMHO, the advances in 2007 far outweighs any reason to not upgrade. I recommend doing the upgrade - if you're in the upgrade mode. Your files open and work just as they always did.

HTH

3. horsewoman

Thanks Zack. Do I need to uninstall 2000 before loading 07?

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Good morning!

Like I said, there's nothing saying you have to, but unless you actually want to test backwards compatibility, or will be developing solutions for people to use in 2000, I would uninstall it.

5. horsewoman

Thanks. This is office professional 2007, academic/student version. I'm getting a good deal on it. And there's no difference in the way it works? Sorry for the 20 questions. I just don't want to buy something I can't use and you're the pro.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well, it's either Professional, or it's Student and Teacher edition, but not both. Office Professional 2007 comes with the following programs:

* Access 2007
    * Accounting Express 2008
    * Excel 2007
    * Outlook 2007 with
    Business Contact Manager
    * PowerPoint 2007
    * Publisher 2007
    * Word 2007

Whereas Office Student and Teacher edition comes with the following programs:

* Excel 2007
    * OneNote 2007
    * PowerPoint 2007
    * Word 2007

The difference in all Microsoft products (regarding Office) is what applications they come bundled with. The only thing that I would say is a need for students and teachers which is not included in the Student and Teacher edition is Outlook, which is an excellent program (although a lot of teachers don't need it because their employers provide email services to them already). And OneNote rocks. :)

HTH

7. horsewoman

thanks so much, you're a great help!
    happy holidays!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice