1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2000 Word - large folder slow to save into

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by xiola00, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xiola00

xiola00 Thread Starter

System: HP w/ AMD 800 processor, 30G (24G free), 192M ram
    Office 2000 Word - I have a folder (BigFolder) in My Documents that contains about 4000 subfolders. When I "save as" with BigFolder as the "save in:" it takes 30 - 60 seconds to bring up the list of subfolders. This just recently slowed down like this - it used to take 5 - 10 seconds. I have scanned and defragged. Will more memory speed this up? Any other ideas? I am currently saving into a "work" folder, then later moving the "work" subfolders into BigFolder.

2. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Looks like something else is slowing you down through use of resources. Have you something memory intensive running in the background? Try checking what you have in your Startup programs - type msinfo32 in the Run box on Start menu. Uncheck anything you don't need running in the Software Environment - Startup group by editing in msconfig. If you are unsure about what to keep or ditch, copy and paste the msinfo32 details to us.

Also do a cleanup - empty out Temp files, Temp Internet Files, Recycle Bin.

Mike

3. ren

ren Guest

is the folder set to be a webpage style folder at all?
    are you viewing folder detail?
    just a couple of ideas

4. Gary R

Gary R

Out of curiosity, how much disk space does BigFolder and the 4,000 subfolders use?

5. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Have you added any graphics files to these folders lately - like photos, bitmaps and the like?

6. xiola00

xiola00 Thread Starter

The files in the subfolders of BigFolder are all text Word documents. I don't believe anything is webstyle. The only things running are systray, rundll32, explorer. The properties of BigFolder says 154MB(161,702,859 bytes),244,891,648 bytes used. I notice the same slowdown when I am using Windows Explorer to move the subfolders. I thought I might try reorganizing the subfolders by creating folders A, B, C... int BigFOlder, then moving the subfolders the start with whatever letter into the new A, B, C..., hoping that saving a document into A... would be quicker but it does not seem to make much difference.Obviously I am pretty much PC illiterate. The Windows Temp folder was 225MB so I am deleting whatever is in it. I probably need to empty the recycle bin then also.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/73943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice