Office 2003 problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nubuilder

I uninstalled Office XP, restarted, and installed Office 2003. I can open all the programs fine, but I cannot open any of my files. Word gives me "The file _ is not available" when I open something. When I close Word I get "Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal. Do you want to save those changes?" Excel gives me "The file cannot be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with the file."

The files open fine before in Office XP.

What do I do to get the files to work right?

What do I do?!?!?!?!?!?!

nubuilder

Why is this happening? I see that the error message was just posted today on Microsoft.

Will it happen to all Office 2003 computers? Even if they have only ever had 2003 on them?

I don't understand what to do!

valis

dunno....have you scanned for viruses? I would also check the security settings in excel....they are usually defaulted pretty high....

valis

also, do a search for normal.dot and delete it, then try opening word again.

nubuilder

Found security settings. Changed macro security to Low.

Still doesn't work in Excel.

nubuilder

Just created new documents in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

NON would open. All 3 programs have problems.

NOW WHAT DO I DO

nubuilder

I just tried the 3 test files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on my other computer that has only ever had Office 2003 (the same disc and version as my other computer that is not working) and they worked perfectly fine.

I think something is not removed when you uninstall Office XP or Office 2003 doesn't like something about the system.

Any ideas as to what to do?

I will reply again in the morning.

nubuilder

I installed SP2 for Office 2003.

It didn't work.

Any ideas on what to do?

nubuilder

Office 2003 still isn't working.

I have uninstalled and installed 3 times.

I need some help.

valis

At this point, I would probably call MS Tech support and have them discuss it with you. For some reason, the files you are creating are not being read by the apps themselves. MS Tech support is usually pretty good about this sort of thing; lord knows I"ve dealt with them enough in the past.

sorry I couldn't help more.

v

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online