1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2003 update Outlook startup problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by blackholevrg, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackholevrg

blackholevrg Thread Starter

Decided to upgrade to Office 2003 from Office Small Business 2000.

When I attempt to enter Outlook, I get an error message that "Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc." The error signature addresses "adavpi32.dll" version 5.1.2600.1106, etc.

I've attempted to rename some files, etc. but I'm stuck?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried it as a clean install rather than an upgrade. As with an OS, Office is best done that way.

3. blackholevrg

Yes....I originally loaded the software which automatically looked at the system and chose "upgrade", etc. and it optioned me to delete the old programs, etc. Word, Excel and Powerpoint loaded correctly. Outlook woulnd't load reporting the error message.

I then uninstalled and made a clean install. Same situation.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I just did a scan of my system (XP, SP2 and Office2003 and don't see the file "adavpi32.dll" anywhere. It is also not part of the XP source files.

What other relevant software might be insalled.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

6. blackholevrg

Whoop's....it's "advapi32.dll"....... it should show up for you in several places and I've noticed that there are several versions, even in different locations under Windows XP......depending upon previous operating systems, programs, user setups and upgrades, etc.

When you attempt to delete or rename the file, somehow a cab file or something either replaces it or denies the delete...then you're stabbing at trying to find the version or file that might work.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The only location I have it on my computer is in the \windows\system32 or \windows\system32\dllcache directories. No where else.

Both files are the identical, same size, date and version. For a general reference, mine is dated 8/4/2004, v. 5.1.2600.2180. This is for XP with SP2.

The original file from the XP source code is dated 8/17/2001, v. 5.1.2600.0

Not sure what SP1 would be like since I don't have that any longer on any of my computers.

You might try making sure you have at least the lastest and same version on both locations. Perhaps you will need to boot to safe mode to correct this. If you have FAT32 it is easy since you can just boot with a floppy disk and copy the correct file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice