1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2003 vs. 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by luciroo, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. luciroo

luciroo Thread Starter

I need to install Microsoft Professional on my daughter's laptop (Windows Vista) for her to use for community college classes, I am not sure which version the college has, 2003 or 2007.

My questions:
    1. Which is better, 2003 or 2007? ( I can save about $100.00 buying 2003)

2. If she saves something from Office 2007 (word, excel, or any program) on a jump drive, and tries to open it with the Office 2003 on the college computers, will it work? (note: she is a high school dual enrollment student, and the prof. is not allowing them to bring personal laptop to class because last year some students played games instead of doing classwork on their laptops, the classroom has college owned computers in it)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I suggest going with what the college uses and recommends. Neither is "better". The user interface is very different in Office 2007, and if she has to use multiple versions, it could be confusing. If she creates documents in Office 2007, she has to save them as Office 2003 files to open them in that suite.

3. luciroo

luciroo Thread Starter

So, if we have Office 2007 on our computer, and she has typed a report in Word 2007, saves it to jump drive, and she tries to open it on the college computer which has Office 2003 with Word 2003, she would not be able to open it?

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    She would just have to save it as the older format within Word 2007. In save as (F12) there is a "save as type" drop-down list at the bottom of the dialog box which allows you to save it as the older format (Word 97-2003). After this she will be able to read the Word 2007 file on a Word 2003 machine.

5. luciroo

luciroo Thread Starter

Thanks!

Another question - so, she types a report in Word 2007 on her laptop, saves it as Word 2003 to move to to jump drive to open on college computer, got that. But, when she tries to open the file that was saved as Word 2003 on her laptop, will it open it with Word 2007?

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    It should open with no problem in Word 2007. You can also install the compatibility pack on the 2003 machine to read Office 2007 files from here.

7. luciroo

luciroo Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Not a problem, if you have any other questions feel free to post a message. Could you also please mark this thread as solved via the "Thread Tools" drop-down list at the top of the post? Thanks in advance.

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

If you open an Office file it will open with the default application [version]. Generally and usually that is the latest installed version. Now, if you open the application specifically and open the file(s) from within that application, it will try to open in that particular application itself.

Fyi, 2003 version files open in 2007 in Compatability Mode.

HTH

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice