1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2003 won't work after Office 2007 trial.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by axeman61, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeman61

axeman61 Thread Starter

I'm on Windows XP w/SP2. It had Office 2003. I've had my computer since 2004.
    Before I installed Office 2007, Office '03 worked fine. Then I needed '07 for a college class and installed a trial. Office '07 worked fine, but the MS Word shortcut in my quicklaunch bar pointed to Word '03 still. Whenever I'd hit it by accident, it would try to install Office '03("Please wait while Windows Configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003). I canceled it on the second screen and it worked anyway.

The second screen had this:
    Installation Error: File not Found

A required installation file SKU1E3.CAB could not be found.

Before, I'd hit cancel and MS Word '03 would get to working anyway. Then I'd close it and go into Word 07. I think there was some error message, but I don't remember it. Now, I just uninstalled an Office '07 trial. The same thing is happening again, but now when I hit cancel, it says "fatal error during installation." It's a different error message from the one I got last time.

I really need help here. I've got homework due tomorrow for some online classes, and need Word to do it.

I tried going into control panel > Add/Remove Programs > Office '03 and clicking change to do the repair thing, but it led to the same problem.

Thanks in advance. If you need any more information to help, please let me know. I can't open any Office items. This Windows Installer problem even happens when I try to use the Windows Search. At least the Windows search still works (or tries to) though.

Okay, Microsoft's site says Office Professional 2003 w/ InfoPath relates to SKU1E3.CAB. I'm still confused.

Tiny Update: I went straight into the Microsoft Office folder in program files and hit the WINWORD.EXE from there. Word '03 went through the same drama of starting up as it did when '07 was around, but it started. That Windows installer" thing popped up like seven times though after the fact (it pops up, I hit cancel, it pops up...). So, what we have is the fact that raw EXEs work with a little prodding and the start menu shortcuts don't. Could this be a job for the installer cleanup utility?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/678802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice