1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2007: empty recent files list

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CreepinJesus, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CreepinJesus

CreepinJesus Thread Starter

In Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, the recent documents list is always empty, despite opening/closing various files. The number of documents to display is set to 17 (I set it to 8 but it never saves it...). Is it possible that I had recent documents turned off in Office 2003 and it has affected the setting in 2007 ?

2. Charles_Bukowski

Charles_Bukowski

Are you running this on a domain?

3. CreepinJesus

Not sure what you mean by domain...but its just on a single-user laptop - Home and Student edition.

4. CreepinJesus

Just bumping it up - in case there's some new light on the subject.

And I'm not on a domain - I'm just a regular home user. What was weird was on my other user account for Windows, the recent files list worked fine at first... then, in the last few weeks, I noticed it was also empty.

5. cherry pie

cherry pie

Check the options for one of the office applications

Click the office button > Click Word Options button > on the left side Click Advanced > On the right side scroll down to the Display header and see the (Show this number of recent documents) options. What is it set to? try to alter that.

6. CreepinJesus

I can change that to whatever I like, but Word does not save that value - when I load the Options window up again, it reverts back to a value of 17. However, the registry value* does not change from a value of 8. If I try to change it manually, I get an error saying "Error writing value's new contents". I'm thinking permissions issues...?

* = HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU\
    The key is called "Max Display", is type REG_DWORD, with a value of 8 (what I set it to in Word).

7. cherry pie

cherry pie

It is set to 17 and displaying 0 (regardless of the 8 you are trying to edit in the registry so changing the registry might be a permission issue but I doubt it has anything to di with displaying the recent files)

Have you tried running:
    - microsoft office diagnostics
    - Repair microsoft office installation (from add remove programs)

8. CreepinJesus

I did both of those earlier today - Diagnositcs showed no errors, and the repair didn't fix it. I even tried a complete Uninstall / Reinstall but that didn't solve it either.

According to the options in Word, the number of files to show is set to 17, but no files are being shown in the list. According to the registry, 8 files are to be shown.

9. CreepinJesus

I reckon I've fixed it now - it was permissions after all. It must have all happened when I made that registry modifaction to remove the "non-commercial use" phrase from the title bar - that invloved removing permissions from Administrators and my user account to the key involved. It turns out it had also removed the permissions from the File MRU keys, so Word (and Excel and Powerpoint) could not write the previous file history or the key defining how many items to so - it didn't have the permissions.

Works fine now though. Thanks for all your suggestions, anyway. These forums haven't let me down yet (y).

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice