1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bordercolliemom, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bordercolliemom

bordercolliemom Thread Starter

I wanted to thank the guys that helped me understand all the "guts" on Vista, when I frantically looked to find a site where I could get help.

Now I have a new question - Office 2007 is the newest out there - I need a program that will work for the small business we own and what are your feelings and thoughts. I want to uninstall Vista and get something else. I went to the live on-line Dell Tech support to get help with Vista and the Tech was telling me that they can install Office 2007 and do all the work - I didn't ask how much that would cost - I have never uninstalled software and what happens to all the things I have saved in my hard drive - do I save them on a memory stick - I don't like to burn CD's, it's too much work and trouble. Or would it be worth the money to have Dell do it? Can you tell me where to go for the best price on Office 2007 software - help me:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Border Collie's Mom

2. Justawind

Justawind

Well good news is office 2007 will run on Windows XP. I am currently using it and besides the few changes to where things are, really like it. You just have to remember since not everyone is using it yet to save the files as 97-03 compatible.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you're confusing Windows Vista, the operating system, with Office 2007, the productivity suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).

Are you just looking for an alternative to Office? Or are you looking to change the Windows version? Or both?

Uninstalling Office won't affect any of the documents created with those applications. However, you still want to keep regular backups regardless.

4. bordercolliemom

I just went into MS Office Online and you can doe a 60 day free trial to Office 2007, and I looked at Office Small Business and Office Professional 2007. I can download the trial, but when I looked under system requirements, the operating system says MS Windows(R) XP with Service Pack (SP) 2, Windows Server(R) 2003 with SP1 or later operation system - what exactly does that mean, since I have Vista, I don't think I can download this trial offer, and do I have to have all the above stuff to beable to install Office 2007 if I decide to purchase it - and of course if I do have to have all that, what would that cost?

Thanks

5. Justawind

Justawind

I think the question I should have asked is what are you planning to do with it? Email, spreadsheets etc? Small business for Office, and I may be wrong, usually is word, exel, powerpoint and outlook. I am not sure on what the costs would be.

6. bordercolliemom

what is the difference on the operating systems and the productivity suite? I know I am technically challenged - to put it mildly on the software, etc., I only know how to work in the programs and make the stuff look good - I don't know a thing about the above - can you give me insight into this -

Thanks

7. bordercolliemom

I would be using Email, spreadsheets, word, Contacts, Powerpoint, etc.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've never defined an operating system to someone before, but I'll have a go at it.

Windows is what your computer runs when it boots up. It's the operating system. An operating system has to be installed before other programs can be used. Microsoft Office is a collection of programs that allow you to do various things like using Word to type a report or Excel to create a spreadsheet.

Office 2007 certainly works on Windows Vista because it is a more recent operating system than Windows XP hence the wording "or later operation system".

Can you describe, specifically, the technology needs of your business? Purchasing Office 2007 Small Business Edition may be serious overkill and a waste of money if you don't plan to use all the applications it includes.

9. Justawind

Justawind

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you just need Office 2007 Standard which is $150 less than the Small Business edition.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice