1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 365: In Word, how do I display just comments?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Nov 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, easy one: In full markup mode, how do I just show the comments, and not all the revisions?

2. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello BJ Nick,

1. Select Review on the MS Word ribbon.
    2. Within the Track Changes box, click on the little box in the bottom right hand corner.
    3. Click on the Advanced Options tab.
    4. Change the Deletions option to Hidden

The deletions should remain available for recovery if needed; but, will not be displayed on the active document.

I hope this helps.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for responding. I did this but I can still see all the revisions. Lots of formatting.........don't see the comments. Maybe I wasn't clear? I'm seeing tons of revisions and the comments are just in there with the rest of it.....I'd like to just see the comments.

4. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hello Nick,

My apologies for not answering sooner. I have been out-of-pocket without internet access. :)

I have two thoughts here.

First - You should be able to select the down arrow on the "Show Markup" button (Ribbon - Review - Track Changes) and deselect the options that you do not want displayed. Also, in the same drop down area, you may need to adjust the options under "Balloons."

Second - If that does not work, return to the "Track Changes Options" pop-up box, there should be a drop down option titled "Balloons in All Markup view show:" that can be changed to a few different options. There are also other options within that pop-up box and the Advanced tab that may need to be tweaked depending on other previous changes that may have been made to the settings.

Good Luck.

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks for responding. I've tried that drop down box and it hasn't helped.....I can see the things checked I want/don't want to see.....it's all a mystery to me.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I wrote a novel and every day that I work on it, I Save-As the new date: mynovel_11-20-18.docx, mynovel_11-21-18.docx, etc, etc. Shouldn't I see changes I've made in each version? As in, I deleted this word, changed this, added that, etc?? Am I way off base?

7. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    You are going to love this answer.... Perhaps... It depends on how you are using Track Changes.

If you type a paragraph of information and it is underlined as an insertion, it will remain an insertion in the new "Save As" document. Subsequent insertions/deletions to that same paragraph will not be recorded in Track changes until the paragraph has been "Accepted" (changing the text from an insertion status - to a text status that is qualified for Track Changes); however, font changes to the new paragraph would be applicable to Track Changes while still in an insertion status. Admittedly, it can become a bit confusing.

So, you have to "Accept" your track changes, or subsequent insertions/deletions to the same text will not be recorded by Track Changes.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice