1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 365 - Not enough Memory Error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Udsuna, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

Recent i've had to update another one of our computers to windows 10 pro (from windows 7 pro) and to Office 365 (from 2013) due to a new manufacturing program we are using.
    After updating this computer a couple files that we use regularly one of them being a Word doc and the other being an Access Database are not working properly, when you open up those files specifically the error pops up "There is insufficient memory or disk space. Word cannot display the requested font." - MS Word Error
    "There is insufficient memory or disk space. Please close some windows or applications and try again. " - Access Error
    this makes it so not all the data is shown for the documents, things are scrabbled around, and hyperlinks are not working properly.

Now i know that memory cannot be an issue, this particular computer has 16Gb of RAM, and while watching the resource manager never went above more then 2Gb of usage. there is also 848Gb of available hard drive space, and all partitions have over 75% available. So there is no way there is not enough memory.

I have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions and the error is there with both, as well as going as far as reinstalling the windows 10 ISO for a fresh install. Never had this issue in the past on this computer, and the files themselves work on every other computer in our network. i've tried repairing on the document. tried name changing the Normal.dot file so it recreates a fixed version for it. Disc management to clean up all files. deleted all of the .old files from the older windows version to make sure nothing collides. Pretty much everything i would typically do for troubleshooting and more and nothing seems to make a difference

i've called the service center for microsoft to see if it was a known issue and all they had to tell me was this was something my companies IT department should be handling not them, even tho i told them, i am the IT guy, and this is an error new to me after doing the exact same install on more then 40 computers and this is the first time i have ran into this issue

So if anyone has any foresight on how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Check the printer driver
    update it to the windows 10 version
    if you have not done so
    Then reboot and test word

2. If no good - what is the font
    change the font to a standard Office font if it is NOT one
    If it was not so then reboot and retest word

close Microsoft Word.
    Go to \\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. - hidden folder of course so options show hidden
    Click the Normal.dot file 1x and then press F2.
    Rename Normal.dot to NormalOLD.dot.

Reboot and restart Word
    Test again

You will of course have gathered that the problem is completely unrelated to disk space or memory. It is I suspect either a driver issue or a font issue that is not compatible with Word on 365 or an add-on
    https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...programs-16278816-1948-4028-91e5-76dca5380f8d

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

Have done all 3 steps already and still no change, error persists
    it has a similar issue on access, just a slightly different error message, no mention of the font

4. Macboatmaster

issue this to run - windows key + R

winword /safe

will the doc open safe mode

5. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

No change, also tried this for access and it didn't make a difference there either

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  7. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

Adjusted it a few times, putting it below, equal to, and above recommended size to see if it made a difference, and no dice

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The best is to just let Windows manage it.

9. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

i agree, it's back to that now, but i adjusted it to remove that as a variable to why i'm having this issue

10. Macboatmaster

It is a puzzle at the moment
    1. Click File > Open, and then go to the location or folder where the document (Word), workbook (Excel), or presentation (PowerPoint) is stored. Don't try to open the file from the Recent section as this won't go into the Open dialog box.
    2. Click the file you want, and then click the arrow next to Open, and click Open and Repair.

[​IMG]

11. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

Done this already and it didn’t change the specific files I was opening
    Just to clarify, this is happening on Access as well
    And it’s only on this one computer, the files are pulled from a domain and work perfectly fine on every other computer

12. Macboatmaster

I give up
    Sorry I have no more suggestions
    Re the last it is the actual file you are trying to open and repair
    etc

Just to be certain it is not the repair of the office installation

Sorry I have run out of ideas

13. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

i've repaired the install multiple times, tried both 32-bit and 64-bit to see if that would make a difference as well
    even want as far as making copies of the documents and the problem persists

14. Macboatmaster

Well as I said I am out of ideas
    I know you will of course know this, but it is presumably something on this particular computer
    Do they open if you clean boot THIS computer
    I am sure as the IT guy you know what I mean by clean boot, so although I have provided the link, I am sure you do not really need it

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

15. Udsuna

Udsuna Thread Starter

Yup i know what a clean boot is, and that is one thing i have not tried yet, i'll give it a shot and see what i come up with!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice