1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 365 subscription question? is Office 2016 better?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tonyacardo, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I bought my Office 365 for cheap in college. It is registered to me under a college email that I no longer can access.
    (this is a problem because I used that account to sign up for Bing Ads and the customer support is always messing with me to prove it is my account, hard to do when you cannot access the old email, it is a pain in the rear)
    Anyway, if I buy 365 again and register it under a new email, will I lose access to all the storage I have in my school account, or will that remain. Can the accounts be synced? (the on-screen prompts imply they can be synced, but I don't trust MS enough to not verify that this is true)

I assume if I just renew it under the now-defunct email address nothing will change. Except I will be out $69 for a 1 year subscription.

What if I just buy Office 2016 for $71 and keep it for several years.
    (if these guys are for real, https://www.istarsoftware.com/112-microsoft-office-2016)

Is there a difference for my purposes? I use MS Word, Excel and Outlook daily.
    But I use them at the novice to lower average level user level.

Do you think Office 2016, that will last for several years and is cheaper, will be OK?

I use Outlook to access various emails and I do some very simple spread sheet manipulations with Excel.

To be honest, if it weren't for Outlook I would probably not buy it at all. I like the email client. Otherwise Open Office (I think it is called) is more than sufficient I would think.

Edit:
    If I buy Office 2016 and install it over Office 365 will it keep all my email accounts information (smtp, port, etc) or am I going to need to set all of them up again.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your only allowed to use that version while at uni
    yes

not sure how real that website is
    appears to0 cheap, and ms has cracked down on these type of cheap sites

you will need to reset all your emails , if a different version
    as activation is via the email address, ms may help you transfer

how are the emails set up ?
    if imap - its no big deal to resetup so long as you know the password

thunderbird is a free alteranative email client

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice