1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 97 Pro in Win2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Greg Bruce, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Bruce

Greg Bruce Thread Starter

I don't know what happened to my first post but I'll try this again.

I bought a new (different) computer for my office. I clean installed Win2000 on it, removing everything that was there and replacing it. Then I loaded all the updates that the updater said I needed. So far it worked GREAT, unlike my home machine that I upgraded from 98 to 2000 (that was not fun). It took off and worked great.

My Office 97 Pro worked great on my home computer probably because it was already there when I upgraded. NO problems.

========= This is where the problem begins ========

I loaded Office 97 Pro onto my office machine, then went out and updated everything that seemed applicable to my use (not assistants, languages, etc.). I did this BEFORE actually opening any of the Office Applications. When I thought I was ready, I tried to open them and received this error message:

This application must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you originally installed the application.

I have uninstalled Office, a number of times. I ran a Off97 Eraser program to clean it all out. I ran RegSeeker to clean out my registry and then tried to install again. Nada.

I saw on a forum somewhere how to enable Compatibility Mode. Will that help? Is there something about all the updates to Win2000 that prevents Office 97 from loading? Can I UNload the updates, re-install Office and then update Win2000? Is there something about the Office 97 updates that prevents it from opening?

I think I've given you all the information. I could really use some help here. If e-mail is faster, e-mail your help: [email protected]

THANK YOU!!

Greg

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Greg Bruce

Greg Bruce Thread Starter

THANK YOU, Etaf. I tried your fixes and they educated me but didn't fix the problem.

I HAVE fixed the problem and gotten Office 97 to work. I think, though, I unintentionally fibbed to you in my original message. I said I did a clean install of Win2000. I intended to ... I wanted to format the disk & install Win2000 only, but apparently I didn't. There was still a Windows folder on this computer as well as a WINNT folder. My home compuer that works great doesn't have them both. I THINK it was trying to load everything into the Windows 98 OS.

SO ... I renamed the Windows file and buried it two levels down in a different folder and tried to reload Office 97. It loaded fine and is working great.

Here's my new question: Can I delete that Windows folder? What will the consequences be? My computer is kind of slowed down after all this. Are there programs still looking for that folder? Is it truly hidden and unaccessible since I renamed it? Do I need to re-install Win2000 and overwrite that 98 folder? Will that screw up my files?

Some general help would be appreciated.

THANKS in advance.

Greg

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice