1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 97 problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Karensdogs, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Karensdogs

Karensdogs Thread Starter

I am receiving two error messages that are driving me crazy on my Microsoft Office 97 package, and I have just learned that Microsoft is no longer supporting their Office 97 software and do not have the budget to upgrade this week.

I am receiving e-mails fine, but am no longer able to SEND e-mails without receiving one of the following e-mail error messages:

Error 503 and Error 505 - both have to do with mail authentication.

I have tried to follow the instructions that I found on another site for setting the internet e-mail settings and authentication setting under the services portion of the toolbar, but am still having problems.

Has anyone overcome this problem with Office 97 WITHOUT having to upgrade to the later versions? If yes, how did you accomplish this feat?

Thank you!

:rolleyes:

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

are you sure the smtp server address is correct? get them from your isp.

use outlook express instead of outlook for the short term.

it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is easy to use.

3. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I have noticed that in Outlook if I have account authentication problems out of the blue that if I delete the account, restart and re-add the account that it starts working fine. Any outlook before the 2003 version seems real buggy.

4. Jack1000

Jack1000

The abusrd $400 price tag for an Office upgrade was way too much for me as a home user when I upgraded to XP. As a consequence, I still use Office 97, but for Word only.

However, for security reasons, and because MS is no longer supporting Office 97, you should STOP USING MS OUTLOOK FOR YOUR E-MAIL unless you want to fork out the added money for Office 2003 or Office XP and check and install monthly updates for the program. (Because of the price, NOT WORTH IT.) Outlook 97 is not very compatible with today's virus checkers and the security features of Windows XP.

Your best bet is to get a new e-mail account. Yahoo Mail is excellent, GMail is also very good, even Hotmail while some say is slow is better than Outlook 97. Outlook 97 is just too old and too big of a security risk. Additionally, switching to a safer more secure browser such as Opera or Firefix might also help with more secure e-mail. Opera has a very secure and safe e-mail program built into the browser. Firefox has a Thunderbird e-mail package avaliable which is also very good. The point is, any one of those e-mail programs is gonna be better and safer than what you have now. I am a HUGE advocate of quality web-based e-mail programs. You should be able to than transfer (or just forward your messages to the new account.) Oh yea, and they are all free as well.

But I would seriously DUMP Outlook. All you need is an Internet Connection to be able to use Yahoo Mail, G-Mail, or Hotmail. OE 6 is just ok and even that is debatable. With free-based web mail you don't have to worry about ISP configurations and all that crap. They do the updating for you. OE 97 is just too old and vulnerable and the uprade to a higher version of Office isn't worth it. (Unless you're involved in a buisness and need the upgrade) But for the home user, Office upgrades are a waste of money.

Jack

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Why not download and use OpenOffice (free) in place of Office 97 - it's quite compatable.

And download and use Thunderbird for email, it's free and beats OE any day, in my view.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice