1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office 97: Will it open Office 2000 Word files?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Frank Contreras, Apr 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank Contreras

Frank Contreras Thread Starter

At work I have Windows 2000 along with Office 2000. If I save a document to disk and take it home, will my home computer with Windows 95 and Office 97 be able to read the document??? If not, how can I change them to RTF files?

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

It should read them without any problems. I work with a lot of people who have win2k and we send files back and forth all the time.

3. Barday

Barday

Hi :) There is an option in the "save" menu "save as type", to chage the version of the document you are saving. You should be able to change it to RTF here, but personaly I would save it as a word 97 document.

4. RandyG

RandyG

and one of the most useful features in Office 2000 is to save the documents as "Web Page" so anyone with a web browser will be able to read it, whether or not they have Word. This works in Excel as well.

5. Gram123

Gram123

On your Office 2000 machine, if you are using an Excel file, save as "Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 Workbook" or "Microsoft Excel 97-2000 & 5.0/95 Workbook".
    If you use the former, certain things might fail, such as conditional formatting and merged cells, but these can be corrected once you're on your 97 machine.
    This might not occur if you save as the latter, don't know.

If you are using Access 2000 files, Access 97 can't read them, although it's easy enough to convert Access 97 files up to Access 2000 format - it just depends where you do most of your work.

HTH

Gram

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/42042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice