1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

office document shortcut icons

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by indigowindow, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

how can i enable/disable the ability to change the shortcut icons in microsoft office(97 or 2000) for "open office document" and "open new office document"? is this done in the registry?

2. RandyG

RandyG

Hi indigowindow,

What exactly do you want to do? Do you not want people to use those shortcuts, or do you want them to open something else? In any regards, right-click the toolbar and choose Customize.

In the Commands tab, If you click on one of the Categories on the left, it will display available commands on the right. Click and drag the command you want into the Toolbar where you want it. If you want to remove one of the icons on the toolbar, just click and drag it off the toolbar.

If you want to change the Icon showing for a button, then click on it, and in the customize box on Commands tab, click Modify Selection. You can change the name of the button, what it opens, it's Icon, etc here. This is handy if you create a macro, and want a button for it.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I think they're talking about the New and Open office icons on the Start menu. If you don't want them, remove them from the following folder via Windows Explorer:

c:\windows\start menu\

Or just right-click and choose delete.

4. indigowindow

the modify function has been greyed out, as well as the change icon option. it may have been disabled on the network server.

5. RandyG

RandyG

It is normally greyed out until you select the button you want to change on the toolbar.

Does this mean that you were referring to the toolbar in the application, or did you mean the shortcuts placed in the Start Menu, as Dreamboat suggested?

6. indigowindow

i'm referring to the shortcuts in the start menu.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you want to delete them or change them or what?

Have you gotten the answer to your question yet?

I'm soooo confused!

:confused:

8. indigowindow

i want to know how the function(to change the shortcut icons) can be disabled, like it is in this situation. if it's done on the server or if it can be re-enabled on the individual computers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice