1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

office installer

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by willwalk, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willwalk

willwalk Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a problem with the office installer popping up when i am using my webmail. When I click to start a new message, it pops up and starts trying to install something. I have to cancel it several times before the new message box will pop up. I'm using windows xp pro, with office 2000.

Any tips?

Thanks.

2. M_Mike

M_Mike

I think that your webmail application is looking for certian Office installation files. If you insert the Office CD when the message prompt appears it should install these files and it shouldn't appear again.

3. willwalk

willwalk Thread Starter

yeah, i can't find the office CD though, someone has obviously 'borrowed' it. You don't know if you can turn off the popups without it?

4. M_Mike

M_Mike

I don't know of anyway to turn it off but I think it is looking for cab files in the installation folder. I think the following files and folders are required. Perhaps you could copy them from an existing installation of office 2000.

The entire “PFILES” Folder
    · The DATA1.CAB file
    · The OFFICE1.CAB file

I believe the solution is to copy these files & folder to a directory on the hard drive of the PC then point the dialog asking for the disks to that location. Thereafter the PC will not ask for disks.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to "un-borrow" the disks. They can only be used on one computer anyway.

6. willwalk

willwalk Thread Starter

M_Mike, I've sorted it, doing as you suggested, thanks. Didn't manage to un-borrow the disks, as was helpfully suggested.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice