1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

office network - server setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AlMujtahid, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlMujtahid

AlMujtahid Thread Starter

I am working in a small office. I am running on a T1 am cancelling it and setting up DSL. I only have 7 computers and will not need anymore than 15. I would like to setup a network in teh office via a server. I have a server right now that is setup but it is only hooked into 2 computers. Unfortunately I do not have the password for ther server.

I spoke with a couple of people and one suggestion was to completely rebuild/reformat the server. I do not have the original CD. Another suggestion is to buy a new server. I do not have an objection to that if it is the nest solution.

The final objective is to eliminate T1, hookup DSL and network the entire office through the server. All the wiring is already setup and running through a router.

Any suggestion? If I get a new server, what do I need? Do all the computers need to be running the same OS? Can I hookup the printers to the server as well so anyone from any computer can access them?

I know it is a lot, but I always receive great input form teh members on this site. I wanted to get your insight before I hired some guy to do the job.

Thank you.

2. Sponsor

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Would help to know what operating systems you are talking about.

4. natcom

natcom

are you looking to setup a work group or a AD domain controller ? if is only for 7 computers and 15 the max and if the server box is to old best thing will be to buy a new server but if the server you have now is not that old and you want to keep it there are ways to get into the server if you lost the password that i cant talk about it here but you can do a search on google and add the rest of your computers and setup a print server but the best thing will be to buy windows 2000 server or 2003 SBS and format the server you have now and start fresh is not that hard to setup a server this days

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

T1 vrs DSL is all a speed vrs cost issue.

Rebuilding server - depends on specs of the server post hardware specs and current OS. Also a make and model may help determine if an OS upgrade can even be done.

Buy a new server - only needed if your current one is below specs for whatever you want it to do.

What is the resoning behind wanting a server? File, print, User Management, to say you have a shiny new server box, or what?

Does this mean you want some kind of ISA/Proxy type setup. Is this what your wanting to do filter web content? Or is this just you want one centralized location for everything?

Wthout a clearer setup of what you want and what you have I can't say.
    See above we need to know what all you want to do.
    No but it does help with troubleshooting and eliminating potential pitfalls. Especially when you go to Active Directory and Windows 2003 domains.
    Yes that is called a print server and what you do is 1) load the print drivers on the server 2) point the print que to an IP and 3) have the printer connected to the network via a jetdirect or some other hardware network card.

6. AlMujtahid

Squashman,

I have some computers with XP Pro, one with WinMe (I would prefer to upgrade that) and one with Win2K.

7. AlMujtahid

Natcom,

I tried "breaking into" the sever with a 3rd party utility that I was referred to from thsi site. It did not work. The hard drive would not let me read the disk or something like that. I also had a network guy take a look and same result.

I do not know what the difference is between a workgroup and an AD domain . . .

What I want is for anyone in the office to be able to access any of the other computers and files on the computer. I was told each person can have their own login to the network.

8. AlMujtahid

Stumped Techy,

I realize the difference between the T1 and DSL. For me the cost savings and what we need are worth the downgrade.

I could care less for a shiny new box in the office. I want the server for file, print sharing and regular back up of important files (QuickBooks mainly). Also there are files that I need several people to have access to and I want all modifications to be updated so all can see. As if we are all just using one computer and doing all the updates on that PC. I would prefer not to have the 7 people I work with sitting on me as I create an invoice or update inventory.

The server I have now has Win2k Server on it. It is a HP ProLiant ML330 (G3 w/ Xeon processor).

I just want a centralized location for everything. Filtering web content is not that important.

Thank you for the clarification about the printer setup. That will make life easier around here.

9. Squashman

Can you tell me how you tried breaking into the server. If it is 2000 Domain server, it is a different process for breaking into it. If you were using the floppy version of the offline nt password disk, it does not incluce all of the scsi or sata drivers if your server uses those types of drives. The CD version has all the drivers on it.

10. natcom

natcom

well if you cant get into the server and you end up formatting the drive and doing a new setup what you need is a workgroup to make things easy for you to manage a DC is more for certified network administrator where you have more control over your users and if this is only for 15 max computers and you want to be the network admin then a work group setup as a file server is all you need

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

For what your asking to do the current server should be more than enough to do what your looking for file serving and print serving are not Server intensive by nature especially in a 15 user environment. Now add in a few hundred users and you may get some bottle necks. The main things I would look at is current HDD space (you won't know until you can log in unless they are all labeled and you can see HDD size from the outside) and that this server has some kind of backup mechanism either Raid (not truely a backup more a duplication of whats currently there), or a backup tape solution, or even cheaper yet a CD/DVD burner.

Also I would think that he would want to verify the server is currently in workgroup mode before doing a rebuild if its not then you may have all the clients having problems you had not thought about. You can do this numerous ways 1) check your computer name tab and ensure you have a computer name and a workgroup name if you have a full name of XXXX.domain.local or something then your in a domain already 2) Another easy way to do this is to turn off the server reboot the client and log in to the client and see if you have any problems getting to anything and if your getting any service errors. 3) If you check your windows XP machines and they have the graphical pictures upon turn on (or no login prompt at all) then they are on a workgroup and not on a domain.

He is right domains are more for administration purposes but I also don't know how much you really want a workgroup setup. If you have high turnover and non generic user id's then you will need to look at the fact of how many Pc's you may have to visit to setup user accounts and add in access rights. If you have low turn over and only little shares you want then a workgroup may be okay. Reallly the workgroup vrs domain battle is one only best determined by the person requesting the network.

As far as "hacking in" have you tried all of the Basics I.E. Administrator and Blank password, Another one I try is Backup and Blank password as sometimes people will enable a Backup account to do backups and this may get you logged in. Also try guest - this should be disabled but it would at least let you get into the user section to see which accounts are on an active....

12. AlMujtahid

I know it has been a while.

Basically I am not having any luck getting into this server.

You all seem to have some good knowledge on servers. If I choose the getting a new server path, what am I looking at spending? What should I look for? Specs?

Here is what I will have setup:

1. up to 15 computers
    2. share printers
    3. DSL Internet with static IP
    4. I want all computers connected to the server so we can all access certain files
    - some files I want stored and backed up on the server so if I make a change on one PC, it shows up whenever anyone else opens the file later as well (this is how we have QuickBooks setup now on the 2 pcs on teh current server)
    5. i want the server to have backup capability internally
    - i believe the one I have now does that

That is pretty much it. I think. If you need more info let me know. Basically I just want to get a new one and have a warranty on it.

Please let me know what you may know. I appreciate all the help.

Thank you.

13. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I think anything like the ML350 G4 would be fine. Its lower end but for a 15 user environment with only print sharing and some file sharing I would do this option. Make sure to get HHD size upgrade if you think your gonna use heavy file store. Lastly I'ld have an integrated tape drive device put into the expansion bay.

14. Squashman

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/396915