1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office Network - Slow Bandwidth Issue - How to check?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Beachyman, Apr 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Beachyman

Beachyman Thread Starter

Dear All,

I am engaging a service provider in London who support our business for our IT infrastructure, I am frustrated of their service but I am unsure if they are providing an average service or a poor service, can someone give me some advice?

We subscribed to 100mbs Bandwidth for (LAN/WIFI), we owned 8 Desktop (LAN Cable) and probably 10 devices on Mobile/Tablet (WIFI) + 1 Printer/Scanner. Our WIFI has been really slow that some whatapps message from 4G network only delivered to the device using the WIFI network after 30 mins and Scanning to Email from Printer to our mailbox took 2mins - 5mins to reach my mailbox.

We have raised ticket to the support, they only can provide us some bandwidth information.
    I asked:
    1. Can I have the information of How many users are using the bandwidth?
    2. What are the devices using the Bandwidth?

The response was these information are not available for them to provide to me.
    Instead of assisting to solve the problem, the support told me that I need to find out what software/machines is utilizing the big bandwidth. Otherwise, I will need to upgrade my bandwidth.

Can someone comment if this is normal?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So to confirm, the desktop machines doesn't experience speed issues? Have you tried running speed tests from both a desktop and a laptop? a test site like speedtest.net should be ok to check.

3. Beachyman

Beachyman Thread Starter

No issue on the desktop, only the WIFI connected devices are slow.

Attached Files:

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Was that from a desktop?

5. Beachyman

Beachyman Thread Starter

Yes, that is from the desk top.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK... it will be hard to determine the cause so let's see if we can break this down a little... for the scan to email issue, where is the email server? Is it on site, or do you use a vendor for that, like Microsoft/Google etc.?

As to the speed, that is fast, but in the industry getting less than 80% of the paid service is a problem and your download is less than 50% so that is one issue, but that shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

7. Beachyman

Beachyman Thread Starter

This is the latest test result over:
    • Desktop on Cable
    • Laptop on Cable
    • Laptop on Wifi
    • Mobile on 4G
    • Mobile on Wifi
    Which is using the same 100mbs bandwidth from the provider?
    Obviously, the Wifi is the cause of the issue.

I will be sending this information to our vendor and see if they are still defensive that we should increase our bandwidth rather than sorting out the problem for us.

Attached Files:

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    So to confirm what I see, anyone connected to wifi is at 10mb or close to. The ethernet is fine.

It does sound like the WiFi speed is not correct. Possibly the settings are not correct for wireless, which I have seen on personal modem/router combination devices or the QoS is set low.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do not think that the 4G connection is going through the router.
    I have been told that it uses the connection through the phone service towers!

10. Beachyman

Beachyman Thread Starter

Thank you, the 4G is used as a comparison to the Wifi.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    That is like comparing apple to oranges, two complete different systems.
    remember that the internet provider said "Up To 100" , which means anything from "0 to 100".

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice