1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

office networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sexnage, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

Hi, can someone please tell me how to nework 2 pcs I want to be able to access my files from my pc in the office to the pc in the warehouse, so I dont have to be copying files to be ableto open in another pc. I have one pc with windows vista home premium and another one with windows 7 both are 64bits and I have a router dsl att, can some one help me please? thank you much

Jaime

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are both computers all ready connected to some kind of existing network or do you need to create the network?

If you need to create a network then ...

Do the computers have any wired or wireless networking built in?

What is the distance between computers and are there any heavy walls or lots of metal between them?

Would you be able to run CAT5E or CAT6 (Ethernet) cable between computers?

How many LAN ports are on your DSL Modem? Does it have a built-in wireless access point?

3. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

Hi thank you for your quick response. Ok this is what I have, There is a network I have a DSL router and both computers are connected to the router. via cat5 cable. There is one glass door in between I would say max is 30 ft aprt from each other. There are 4 lan ports 2 used by the pcs, one used by the printer.

does this make sense? thank you

Jaime

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Short description for Vista file sharing.

Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

Vista requires that a user account be password protected before it will permit file sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

Short description for Windows 7 file sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Home' (or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  6. sexnage

sexnage Thread Starter

Thank you I will let you know my results.

Appreciate it very much your help

jaime

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice