1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office Printers not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WrongEnd, Feb 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. WrongEnd

WrongEnd Thread Starter

Hello guys,

Straight to the issue, We have 3 separate offices, in each office there are 20 or so employees, The main office has 2 printers which are installed to use wireless connection, recently if somebody from the main office want to install the printers he gets a problem finding the printers, when i investigated the issue it turned out that there is no connection between the printer and the Laptop/PC that tries to connect, but when i take that laptop which has the problem to the other office and try from there, weirdly it works. so i narrowed the problem to be in the main office network, I swapped the main office router with the IT office router and that didn't help, if i installed the main office router in the IT office it works and it let me ping to the printer, but when i move it back to the main office it stops, any laptop/PC which has the main office printers installed prior to this problem can access the printers with no issue, only the new laptops/PCs have this problem,

These are the fixes that i have tried :

1- Since i can discover the printers from the other offices, i installed the printers on a Laptop from my office then i moved to the main office WiFi range, but as soon as i enter the main office WiFi range the Pinging stops and gives me Unreachable destination . "So I know now the problem might be the main office router"

2- I took the main office router and replaced it with my IT office router, The main office router worked when i installed it in my IT office and my IT router stopped when i installed it in the main office.

3- I tried an Ethernet cable directly connected from the office router to ping the printers from an affected PC/Laptop but that also didn't work .

4- I connected the main office router directly from the network system and that also didn't work.

5- I went one day early before anyone else in the office "as i assumed that when there is too much employees connected to the printer it might has connections limit" and tried from an affected PC and that also didn't work.

6- Tried to manually install the printer via IP and of course this didn't work as the PC cant reach that IP

7- I tried pinging from the router web interface and it works fine.

dont mention the router and printers restart that i have tried as well .

this problem drives me to nuts :) .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Office Printers servicing 20 people are best served using wired Ethernet not WiFi and preferably with static IP addresses.

That being stated...
    Please delineate the 3 office network topologies.
    • ISP
    • Router Make and Model
    • Router IP address and netmask
    • Make and Model of each Printer in each office and their current IP address, netmask (NM) and gateway (GW)
    It would be best to have each printer print a Network Configuration page to supply their current IP Configuration.

Example:
    Office A
    ISP: Comcast
    Router: Cisco DPC3939B
    Router IP and netmask: IP: 10.1.0.1, NM: 255.255.255.0
    Printer1: Brother MFC-L2710DW, IP: 10.1.0.5, NM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 10.1.0.1
    Printer2: Canon MG3022, IP: 10.1.0.7, NM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 10.1.0.1

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  3. WrongEnd

WrongEnd Thread Starter

it doesn't make sense because i tried wired connection and that didn't work as well, i tried both WiFi and Ethernet early in the morning when nobody in the office except me and the surrounding air, wired connection is not possible as a solution as all employees work on Laptops . I'm trying a solution that came across my mind just now and ill tell you if it fixes my issue or not . thanks for the reply dlipman . much appreciated .

4. WrongEnd

WrongEnd Thread Starter

unfortunately not yet .

5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    It doesn't matter if the laptops are wired Ethernet or are on WiFi. All that counts is that the device that wants to print is on the same LAN sub-net and can communicate over IP to the Printer's Print Server and has the appropriate OS related Print Drivers. Before we can travel on the road, we have to make sure the roadway is passable and all cars travel on the same path. That roadway is TCP/IP.

Please follow my directions by delineating each office as requested.

NOTE: There are reasons why Printers should be on wired Ethernet not WiFi. However lets first make sure the TCP/IP environment is correct and then discuss the logistics afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. WrongEnd

WrongEnd Thread Starter

The problem is only within the main office network printers :

Main Office
    ISP: Etisalat
    Router: Linksys WRT 3200ACM we have also 2 APs in the main office for signal improvement .
    Router IP and netmask: IP: 192.168.2.1, NM: 255.255.255.0
    Printer1: Epson L1455, IP: 192.168.2.112, NM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 192.168.2.1
    Printer2: Canon i-sensys MF628cw, IP: 192.168.2.28, NM: 255.255.255.0, GW: 192.168.2.1

7. WrongEnd

WrongEnd Thread Starter

Update :

giving the printer a dynamic IP address fixed the issue for now, until further investigation ill keep it like this .

will keep the community updated as i progress, maybe this will help someone in the future .

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice