1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Office Starter 2010 Conundrum ???

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BearKiller, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

We have two Windows 7 Home Premium HP machines in our fleet; one is 2012, the other older than that.

Both machines came preloaded with Microsoft Office Starter 2010, which I have never used and the wife has used very infrequently and not at all in a long time.

For about the last six weeks, both of these machines have been plagued with a nagging pop-up wanting us to install an update for Office Starter 2010; this is very persistent, at least five times a day on each machine.

I finally found instructions on how to disable updates, the catch is that the program must be running to do so.

On one of the machines, it said Office Starter 2010 was activated and opened right up; I found the disable updates button, and mission accomplished.

On the other machine --- and I know for fact that she has used the program in the past --- it demands me enter a product key in order to proceed; this key is 25-digits, but it is NOT the Windows 7 key as I tried that and got denied.

How do I come up with this missing product key; is it on a sticker on the cabinet; or, is it on some long ago lost paperwork ?

All the HP support articles I read did not have very conclusive nor helpful answers; and, my experience with them in the past is that once a warranty is expired you are on your own.

Thanks for reading.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. BearKiller

Thanks; I will look into that.

It puzzles me why that, after so many years, that they all of a sudden decide to "update"

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It sounds like a trial version came pre-installed in it, and its trial time has expired, so it's asking for a product key now when you try to use it.

Unless you really need a version of Microsoft Office, have you considered installing and using the free LibreOffice suite?

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. BearKiller

Thanks to you both for the help.

Well, I blundered around and got it to work; of course, Microsoft doesn't make it sensible.
    In the "start" menu, right up front and center, in big bold print, is Microsoft Office; click on that and you get a big window with several options to activate, buy, or try; I finally figured out that this is NOT the already bought-and-paid-for Microsoft Office Starter.

I scrolled way on down to the folders and found Microsoft Office Starter; I opened that folder and found, among other things, Microsoft Word Starter and Excell Starter; everything here opens right up and is ready to go. --- That gets the Office Starter situation taken care of on the two HP machines.

I will look into that LibreOffice as I have a relative that is wanting something and that may be what they need.

On a similar note, both of our DELL machines came pre-loaded with Apache Open Office, which until today we had not yet investigated; the wife was checking it out on her DELL and kept getting a notice that in order to proceed we must install "JAVA JRE Runtime Environment"

A long time ago, I had uninstalled JAVA from all of our machines and had not missed it until now (and my life has been better for the lack of it).

Is there some other alternative that would allow this program to work ? Would I regret installing this JAVA JRE business and be better off just not using the Open Office ?

Thanks for reading.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used OpenOffice, but it apparently needs Java like LibreOffice does so that all of its features work properly.

I use LibreOffice in all of my Windows 7 and Windows 10 computers, so I have Java installed.

Its current version is JRE 8 Update 162.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. BearKiller

Thanks: Is there a safe way/place where I can download that without getting any of the undesirable extras that I read so much about ?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If you pay attention to each window that appears while you're installing or updating an app, it'll allow you to opt out or decline to install unwanted extras.
    When you blindly click from one window to the next window and accept the default options, that's how your computer gets unwanted extras installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice