1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office Suite needed for Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Martjean2, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Martjean2

Martjean2 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I need a little help. I just purchased a HP Envy with Windows 8. I will need to have a Office Suite.
    What do you recommend I do?
    Thanks for your help.

2. grandma77

grandma77

I just installed Open Office on our new HP Envy with windows 8. It is working fine and Open office said it is compatible with Microsoft office, but Open Office is free. This is my first time to try it but I have had friends that have used it for a while and love it.

3. UserSupport_Pro

UserSupport_Pro

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    There is a major difference between the two. OO is no longer supported. There was some managerial upsets when they were taken over. Libre Office took over the task of maintain its original free formula, and continue to support it. I believe that, very recently, they have published a major update.

But one I did investigate, for enquiring clients, was Kingston. I was impressed by its ease of installation and use.

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html

5. grandma77

grandma77

Platforms Supported
    The following platforms continue to be available as official releases from Apache OpenOffice: Microsoft Windows, MacOS (Intel), Linux (32 bit), Linux (64 bit).
    Additionally, a number of community members are working on ports for Solaris, FreeBSD, and OS/2 and live/portable versions. You can learn more from our Ports and Distributions page at: http://www.openoffice.org/porting/ .

General Remarks
    The Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 is a maintenance release, intended to fix critical issues and improve the overall quality of the application.
    General areas of improvement include: additional language support, bug fixes, performance improvements and Windows 8 compatibility enhancements. Further details on each of these areas are below.
    For a more comprehensive overview of the changes from the 3.3.X OpenOffice.org releases and earlier; please see the Release Notes for Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0

From what it reads there doesn't it mean it is supported?

6. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    You could, most certainly be correct. I was an active contributor on the OO pages, but, either by another contributor or published news, did come to the conclusion that it would be better to move to Libre, which was pretty much identical.

However, have a read through this page. Scroll down to the box, whilst doing so "Promoted Comments".

Interesting reading and you can draw your own conclusions. Could be just a matter of semantics, ie. A change of supporter/name.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...oaring-but-openoffice-still-open-source-king/

P.S. Later. Did a bit of googling to try and support my words. Noy too satisfactory but on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice

I read this

" In April 2011, Oracle stopped development of OpenOffice.org[43] and fired the remaining development team,[20][44] due to the community having left for LibreOffice and loss of mindshare to LibreOffice"

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go with LibreOffice. Don't allow Oracle to get away with stealing the program and name from the original developers. They are the ones now producing Libre after Oracle tried to turn OpenOffice into a commercial product. Down with greed!

8. grandma77

grandma77

Ok, Libre just came out with a newer version. Do I download that, is it beta? Or should I stick with the previous version?

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Apache Open Office is now at version 4.0.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1104496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice