1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office Update Keeps On Failing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tb75252, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tb75252

tb75252 Thread Starter

I have Office 2000 Professional SR-1 SP-3 installed. The OS is Windows Professional XP SP-3. All software is legitimate.

Whenever I run Office Update, the progress bar reaches the 40% mark and
    then the program aborts.

I have tried running the repair utility included in Office 2000, ran the installation utility, turned off my firewall, and I have tried every suggestion in this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498
    Â…but nothing seems to work!

I am able to manually install updates, but would prefer being able to run Office Update to do that.

How can I get Office Update to work again?

Thanks.
    --
    tb

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Try Microsoft Updates instead. (y)

:confused: Sounds stupid, huh? ... many people are thinking, right now, that all of the updates are from Microsoft, "what is Chuck talking about now?" :confused:

There are three big Update websites handled by Microsoft.
    1) Windows Updates - which is for just their OS.
    2) Office Updates - which is for the Office set of applications; and
    3) Microsoft Updates - which is 1 & 2 & any of the other Microsoft created applications that require updating.

I don't know if a missing OS update may be hanging up your use of the Office Update, or perhaps the Microsoft Update might get past the issue that the Office Update is giving you, but it might help you through your problem.

Note: Once you use the (overall) Microsoft Update, then any other link you have to take you to the other (Windows or Office) update sites is going to direct you to the Microsoft Update site.

3. draceplace

draceplace

I've solved this before by turning 'auto update' off, reboot run updates, turn 'updates back on'. Not sure where I got this so I don't know what the reasoning behind this is.

As ChuckE mentioned MS updates does do it a little different an may work for you.

4. tb75252

tb75252 Thread Starter

I installed Microsoft Update like you suggested. It does not seem to be looking for updates/patches for Office 2000. On the left side of its screen, it shows "Office 2007" and (not surprisingly!) it indicates that zero updates are available for it.
    --
    tb

5. tb75252

tb75252 Thread Starter

I installed Microsoft Update like you suggested. It does not seem to be looking for updates/patches for Office 2000. On the left side of its screen, it shows "Office 2007" and (not surprisingly!) it indicates that zero updates are available for it.
    --
    tb

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice