Office with 3 computers using outlook express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

simperfour

Three people in my office each have their own computer all able to access the same email account using outlook express. There is also one at home as well on same. Right now if you delete an email on one computer, it is still on all the other ones. Rather than having to go into each computer is there a way that they can all be accessed from one computer? Thanks for your help

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
DoubleHelix said:
No. There is no way to setup central storage for Outlook Express mail files.
There is a way if the mail server supports IMAP access.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I never said anything about sharing DBX files and and neither did simperfour. All messages can stay on the IMAP server (limited by storage quotas) and all users can access the messages in the server's inbox or any additional folders on the server until someone marks them as "Deleted" and the server then purges them. Each person has the option of saving a copy of any non-purged message on their computer's hard drive. Those local copies do not get deleted when someone then deletes them from the server.

Believe me, having one person delete an incoming message deletes it for everyone that accesses that same account. There is one department at work that has a shared e-mail address so that everybody can see new incoming messages. They use an IMAP connection because nobody wants use up their hard drive space storing their own copies of each message from that account. Even though they know an incoming message is not being saved on the their hard drive, there is one person that still delete the message when they are done reading it. They then call me and complain that nobody else in the department can read that e-mail.

DoubleHelix

Banned
simperfour said:
Three people in my office each have their own computer all able to access the same email account using outlook express. There is also one at home as well on same. Right now if you delete an email on one computer, it is still on all the other ones. Rather than having to go into each computer is there a way that they can all be accessed from one computer? Thanks for your help
The files remain because they are stored locally in DBX files. It sounds like what you need is a webmail service where nothing can be downloaded to the computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.