1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office XP Installs after Reboot

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by idrawstuff, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idrawstuff

idrawstuff Thread Starter

About a year ago, we had a 19 year old MCSE working for us, and he installed Office XP on seven workstations across the company. Recently we discovered that our Office XP installs were pirated, and we bought some Office 2003 licenses to correct the problem.

However, no matter what I try, Office XP reinstalls itself after reboot. I've tried removing it through the Office 2003 installation wizard, through the control panel, by running the Office Clean utility that came with Office 2003, using the Windows Install Cleanup Utility, and nothing works!

I'm by no means a computer pro, but I have the funny feeling something in my registry was either corrupted or manually changed by the shady MCSE to force it to take the cracked copy of Office XP. Any ideas on how I could proceed?

2. kimsland

kimsland

Un-Install office 2003
    Try again Un-installing any other Office installation (possible done already)

Find someone with an Office Xp CD (and temporary key !!)
    Fully install Office Xp
    Restart
    Fully Un-install Office Xp
    Restart
    Install Office 2003

That'll work

3. idrawstuff

I got it.

The old IT guy had deployed Office XP on the server, which was sending Office XP "install-on-demand" shortcuts to our workstations every time we logged on to the network.

We've called in a professional to dismantle the installer. Thought I'd keep you guys posted in case this happens to anyone else.

4. Tstright

Tstright

5. kimsland

kimsland

I take it
    This was a domain server install on demand. and the Office Xp exists on another computer (server) in full (and illegal)
    By the way you do know that each computer must have it's own unique key (unless you have a corporate license)

6. idrawstuff

I got a Volume License Key for corporate users; for the record, I tried Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. The problem wasn't that Office XP wasn't uninstalling (as I later found), rather that the server was reinstalling on-demand short cuts that was overriding 2003 as the default every time we logged onto the network (which caused a particular problem with Outlook, but that's neither here nor there...).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice