1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office XP Pro setup problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by holymoly, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

This app has been very buggy lately esp on this Vista OS. Just did another repair disc on Vista for an installer problem, and decided previously to uninstall Office XP Pro.

After the Vista repair, my attempts through the Office CD to install have returned an erro 1321: Setup cannot modify the file
    C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\SmartTag\MSTAG.TLB. Verify the file exists and you have permission to upgrade.

I did locate the file where it was indicated, but not sure about an upgrade.

If I am stuck here, I do have an older Office 2000 CD, but is this compatible for Vista and Win 7.

Or maybe I should purchase at Ebay Office 2003, I'm not too keen on the ribbon for 2007 and later applications

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers!

2. Sponsor

3. pip22

pip22

4. HCD

HCD

Over here in the UK - there is a site called "software4students". Office 2010 Professional Pro FULL is about £42. Not sure of availability in states....but it is totally above board provided you/your children/etc are students. Upgrade if you can...will also solve all your problems!

5. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

hmm, its for UK and Irish students, but purchase can be downloadable.

How could I do a burn to CD/DVD?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The installer can be burned like any other file, provided you get the download and the serial number, you should be all set.

7. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

59.00 GBP = 95.3184 CAD

Not bad, but maybe I can try ebay.ca first

But I already have MS Office XP Pro.

It really should work in Vista, it was for last 3 years. Shouldn't have to purchase another.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Office XP installs and runs just fine on Vista. You're getting an error. You can search Microsoft's site for more information. You can also try reinstalling.

Or are you saying you completely lost the installation disk for Office XP?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

In light of what DoubleHelix has mentioned, you may want to try to solve the problem with your version instead of buying another and discovering that it won't work, either.

10. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

After the Vista repair, my attempts through the Office CD to install have returned an erro 1321: Setup cannot modify the file
    C:\Program Files\CommonFiles\MicrosoftShared\SmartTag\MSTAG.TLB. Verify the file exists and you have permission to upgrade.

I have the CDs and tried numberous times to install.

and I did see MS writeup on the error, for what that's worth.

HCD gave me an idea and I am taking a course at a local community college and the result is I am presently downloading Office 2010 and Windiows 7 32/64 bit for free. :)

11. icue

icue

No need to. It can be run fron your hard drive.

Best advice----Dump Vista and return to XP. Dual boot is also an option.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026266