1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Office XP Product Key error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kayakgal, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kayakgal

kayakgal Thread Starter

Microsoft Office XP Professional, purchased legally, was re-installed on a new CPU. The Produck Key was re-registered with Microsoft at that time and accepted. When I use Excel, Word or Powerpoint on my computer there is no problem but when I open a Powerpoint file attached to an e-mail I am getting a pop up that wants me to enter the product key. When I do it says that the product key in wrong. If I click on cancel the screen goes away and I can still view the Powerpoint slide but it is irritating to have to cancel that every time.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Are you saving the PPT file locally? Or are you opening in email? Have you tried it both ways?

3. kayakgal

kayakgal Thread Starter

I have saved it to a file then opened it and there is not a problem that way. It only seems to be when I open the Excel, Word or Powerpoint attachment to the e-mail.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well, I know how to fix that...... save the email attachments before you open them. ;)

Honestly I don't know why you're seeing that behavior. It is odd indeed. Can you do a detect and repair on your Office, probably Outlook, or perhaps a reinstall? Since you have a workaround, I don't know if you'd even want to mess with it. Opening attachments directly from an email item isn't the best method either. Especially as it creates a temporary version of the file in your temp folder, but often people think that is the actual file they're working with and can't figure out why - after they saved - they can't find the file. :rolleyes:

5. kayakgal

kayakgal Thread Starter

I talked to some of the computer contractors that I sit by at work. They think that there may have been a hiccup during installation and that I need to remove the program then re-install. So will try that.

Thanks for the info.

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well, it's possible. I would be interested to hear the results in both what I suggested and your co-workers.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This has been observed where the original Office program was purchased with a PC, and was therefore OEM.

OEM software cannot be transferred to another PC, it dies with the original one first installed on.

Just another possibility?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice