1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OfficeClickToRun is hanging

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by novice973, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

Hi, I have Office 2013. Yesterday night, I was trying to print a Word file with a picture on it but the Preview was hanging everytime I clicked on it. I closed Word, restarted, pasted my picture, and try preview several times with the same result. Don't know why I did it, maybe because it was late at night, but I went to the control panel, selected Office 2013, change, then quick repair. I forgot about it and when I went to bed, I close my laptop lid which puts the laptop on hibernation. This morning, when I open my laptop, I realized my mistake. I let the repair run but it ran for a long time. On task manager, it shows the officeclicktorun program but no i/o or cpu usage. When I try to open an office program, it says office is busy and I need to wait for office to finish. I tried rebooting with the same result. Officelicktorun has no activity, but, when I try to run an office program, it says office is busy. I tried to reinstall. But, it also says office is busy. How can I fix this? This is my work/home laptop. I am at work now and am stuck. I really need to get office up and running. Thank you!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

3. novice973

novice973 Thread Starter

I had tried various ways to uninstall on Monday and finally did a restore using my Acronis image copy backup. This brought me back to the original problem of hanging in office when I tried to print. Explorer was hanging on right click and Windows update was stuck at 0% download. After running WindowsUpdate.diagcab a few times with no success and rebooting a few time, everything started to work. Windows update was working, office and explorer was not hanging. But, by the afternoon, I was having the same problem with Office. If I tried to print or do anything on the ribbon or menu, it hangs. Found out trying to print outside of Office (notepad, Chrome, etc) had the same issue. If I tried to look at Devices and Printers, it hangs. Explorer was hanging on right click again.

Things that worked:
    1. Downloaded ShellExView-x64. I hid all MS extensions and started disabling a set of extensions at a time, restart explorer to see if the problem is fixed. Did that a couple of times and narrow down that it was Acrobat Elements Context Menu that caused the problem. Disabled that and the explorer problem is fixed.

2. After researching, found out if I turn the spooler service off and on, it resolves all the Office ribbon and all the printing problems.

I don't know what happened since I had not installed any new programs prior to the problems. I don't know if the issues will resurface. I ran NOD32 and found no issues. Any idea what caused the problems?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183589