offline chkdsk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fantom105

Hi all,

I've been told I need to run an 'offline chkdsk' as chkdsk /f didn't work.

Anyone know how this is done in winxp?

Am I looking at a boot cd or similar?

Thanks

Yes, you boot from the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. Once logged in, you can run chkdsk /p on the drive (there is no /f in the Recovery Console).

Why can't you start it in Windows?

Actually, if you are going to go to all that trouble, anyway, it is better to run chkdsk /r. That will also check the disk surface for errors, move any data that is in bad sectors if possible, mark bad sectors so they will no longer be used by Windows, and do all the other checks that /p does. It will take longer but is much more thorough. You can see from the report at the end if you have bytes in bad clusters, and if you do, then the drive needs further testing and possibly replacement.

"been told" by whom?

fantom105

Thanks for reply Elvandil,

The problem is that my anti-virus firewall won't turn on.

I've force installed the firewall only, but it still remains disabled, so the AV support team looked at the machine remotely, ran chkdsk /f and said there are still errors, and run chkdsk offline.

The pc (although slow) boots fine and operates fine. The AV is installed and working, and I have windows firewall enabled temp, but would prefer the AV firewall.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.