1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

offline chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fantom105, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantom105

fantom105 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've been told I need to run an 'offline chkdsk' as chkdsk /f didn't work.

Anyone know how this is done in winxp?

Am I looking at a boot cd or similar?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, you boot from the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. Once logged in, you can run chkdsk /p on the drive (there is no /f in the Recovery Console).

Why can't you start it in Windows?

Actually, if you are going to go to all that trouble, anyway, it is better to run chkdsk /r. That will also check the disk surface for errors, move any data that is in bad sectors if possible, mark bad sectors so they will no longer be used by Windows, and do all the other checks that /p does. It will take longer but is much more thorough. You can see from the report at the end if you have bytes in bad clusters, and if you do, then the drive needs further testing and possibly replacement.

"been told" by whom?

3. fantom105

fantom105 Thread Starter

Thanks for reply Elvandil,

The problem is that my anti-virus firewall won't turn on.

I've force installed the firewall only, but it still remains disabled, so the AV support team looked at the machine remotely, ran chkdsk /f and said there are still errors, and run chkdsk offline.

The pc (although slow) boots fine and operates fine. The AV is installed and working, and I have windows firewall enabled temp, but would prefer the AV firewall.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice