Offline files and Outlook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ComfortGroup_IT

This is sort of a continuation of the thread located at http://forums.techguy.org/networking/551546-windows-xp-offline-files-thinks.html

I am having the same issue, but only with one of the 100 or so computers here and it is just slightly different.

First, the specifications:
Our DC and the server that is being disconnected from are both running Microsoft Windows 200 Server. The Computer that keeps disconnecting is a Dell Precision 670, 3GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and is running Microsoft Outlook 2000 SP-3. We have no Sonicwall Firewalls.

The problem:
I work as the IT person for a medium sized Mechanical and Controls Contractor. The individual in question is one of the project managers here and has a tendency to be called away to job sites while he is away from his desk (leaving files open and sometimes unsaved). He noticed that on mornings after he had been called away and didn't return to the office he had the "Offline Files" bubble telling him he had been disconnected from Serv2 (the server his division is on).

What has been tried:
The first thing I tried was updating the drivers for his NIC. That didn't work, but we discovered that it only happened when he left Outlook on overnight, so I decided I would leave my Outlook open all night as my computer has the same specs as his, however, I didn't go offline.

My conclusion:
For this specific problem it seems that I can limit it to Microsoft Outlook on his computer, which leads me to believe there is some setting somewhere that is disconnecting him from the server after a set period of being "idle".

The plea for help:
The problem is that I can't find said setting. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

TerryNet

Terry
I don't know Outlook, so can't offer any help with that.

Is the computer actually losing its network connection, or just losing communication with the server? Or are those the same thing?

Are files being lost? If so, a workaround, which may cause other problems, is to set the PC to go into hibernation after idle time (an hour?). Or maybe the application(s) have an option to automatically save files every n minutes?

ComfortGroup_IT

I don't know if Outlook itself is the problem, but, like I said, it only seems to happen when Outlook is running overnight, and then only on that one computer, it is really strange.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online