1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh Canada--Say it Ain't So--The Great One's Image is Tarnished!!!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Mulderator, Feb 9, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

No worries--its not Mulder I'm talking about here!

We all know that Canada has very few bragging rights over the US. About the only things America-Junior has on America are hockey, beer, and moonmist. :eek: And of course the embodiment of hockey, not only in Canada, but in the entire world, is Mr. Hockey, the Great One, Canada's own Wayne "Betsky" Gretsky is in some serious trouble. His wife and assistant coach have been nabbed in a sting operation relating to a sports gambling ring. The Great One claimed ignorance (even though his wife was caught betting half a million in 40 days! :eek: ) but they apparently got him on a wiretap (don't think it was Bush that authorized this one! ;)) discussing the gambling ring;

Read the story here:

http://www.ktvu.com/nhl/6880829/detail.html

On a serious note--I hope Betsky isn't involved in this because it would be horrible to see him "Pete Rosed" out of hockey. Could you imagine the Hockey Hall of Fame or hockey period without Gretsky? :(

2. Gibble

Gibble

This is all that's been on the sports news casts here for past few days...

The fact his wife has placed bets and that he knew about the ring...:eek:

I REALLY hope he isn't involved anymore than his wife having placed some bets (which hopefully weren't on hockey :eek: ) and having known about it.

If this is all, it won't affect his image ... he's still the embodiement of hockey. He's still the greatest player and mind to ever lace on a pair of blades. And he's one of the nicest players and ambassadors of the sport ever.

ps Gretzky isn't "Mr Hockey", that's Gordie Howe :p

3. valis

valis Moderator

regardless, I'd say he's out of coaching in six months, tops.....from what i've read, his wife and tocchet were REALLY in this deep....as in this may end up in front of congress with some ppl doing time courtesy of the state deep.......

we'll see....god, that just sucks.

4. Mulderator

The bets weren't on hockey--at least the ones they know about.

Well, that may be, but I think in most sport's fans minds, Gretsky is Hockey like Jordan is basketball. Jerry West is actually the silouette on the NBA logo and many (even West himself) think they should change it to that solouette of Jordan flying through the air legs spread towards the hoop, whch of course is more symbolic of today's game. Gretsky is more symbolic of hockey today, especially with younger fans than Gordie Howe is, my iced over friend.

PS--its supposed to hit 90 degrees here today! :eek:

5. Mulderator

I frankly don't see what the big deal is about gambling as long as its not on the sport your involved in. I really don't give a crap is Betsky or his wife put a hundred grand on the Superbowl--pumps money into the economy--keeps the Vegas explosion of growth going.

I can understand betting on hockey--there is a huge conflict of interest there. If they find out Gretsky wife bet on hockey--even if he didn't know about it--he's finished.

6. Gibble

Gibble

I'm just saying
    Gretzky = The Great One
    Howe = Mr. Hockey
    Lemuiex = Super Mario
    Bobby Hull = The Golden Jet
    Richard = The Rocket
    Messier = Moose

When you say Mr Hockey, a hockey fan, no matter the age, thinks of Gordie Howe. That's just the way it is. :p

7. Gibble

Gibble

The biggest problem is not reporting the earnings to the IRS...

8. Gibble

Gibble

Oh, and it's Gretzky :) not Gretsky

9. Mulderator

No--its "Betzky" now! ;)

10. Mulderator

OK--I gotcha. I was using "Mr. Hockey" in the general sense that he is the first player most people associate with hockey now just like Jordan is who most people associate with basketball.

11. Gibble

Gibble

While you're from the US, I don't expect you to understand hockey :p

12. deh

deh

Wife won $5,000 on the Super Bowl coin toss.

PS. All roads lead to NJ.

13. treespirit

treespirit

When I think of hockey, the only player that comes to mind is Bobby Orr. Then Super Mario:)

That's too bad about Gretzky though, I think his dad has been hurt enough what with his mom dying and now this. Haven't read anything in the paper here yet about it, Walter Gretzky does a lot for this town(Brantford) and is well liked.

14. Guyzer

Guyzer

10 - 1 Sez Mrs. Betzky is in the process of making plans to move back to Canada.

15. moonmist

moonmist

Dont you have cookies to go bake ???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/441266