1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh Dear, I killed it!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lambkins, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lambkins

lambkins Thread Starter

My apologies for complete ignorance about anything non-internet-shopping-computer related.

My son received a free Dell desktop with Windows 2000 Professional installed on it. This is his computer for playing games, writing stories (he's a 9 year old budding author) and such. It has no internet (we have our laptop for that).

I just installed his first game (Thrillville) and, while the installation was pain-free, we kept getting a message about a video adaptor driver problem, keeping him from playing the game. So, I searched online and, after trying a few things, decided to uninstall, then re-install. Brilliant!

Not so much. It seems that I can't reinstall because I keep getting a message that says

"The file "i81xnt5.sys" on Intel[R] 810/810e/815 Chipset Graphics Driver 5.12.01.2641 is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, then click OK."

I honestly haven't the faintest idea what they're on about.

Any help for a moron, please?

2. Jones

Jones

My semi-educated guess is that you need to reinstall the graphics driver for your motherboard. You can find the driver for windows 2000 off intel's website here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...7&strOSs=19&OSFullName=Windows* 2000&lang=eng

Download and install that driver, then re-start your computer, and you should be okay.

Also, that game requires at leas a Pentium 3 @ 1.0ghz and at least 256mb of RAM installed. If your PC does not have at least that kind of hardware in it, the game won't run.

3. lambkins

lambkins Thread Starter

Shoot, shoot, shoot.

With no internet access on said computer, I don't know how I'm going to accomplish that.

Wait...could I download it onto a disk in my laptop and then put that disk in the desktop?

Sorry I'm such a dunderhead...I swear that I'm smarter than I seem!

4. jackdw

jackdw

Can you not get the Dell internet access? If you have an internet router you could do this with network (ethernet) cable or wireless.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just download the driver and put it on a flash drive. Carry the flash drive over to the dell and plug it in. Run the driver install.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's also possible that the file in actually on the drive, even though Windows can't find it. Do a search for i81xnt5.sys and i81xnt5.sy_ (either one will work) and direct the installer there if you find it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice