1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh for F**k sake, Installing 2000 Probs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Peaker, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    Hope you can help with this one.
    I'm having extreme problems installing 2000 on my brothers PC.
    He had XP, so I cam along with my DOS startup disk and partitioned his drive with fdisk. Then I tried to format with command format c: /s, this gave back the error "Not enough memeory to store system files" or something along those lines. So I used the regular format command format c:. I made win 2000 bootable floppies and everything was going ok until 2000 install said that it couldn't detect any hd's. I've looked under cmos and his cd is primary master but couldn't find or autodetect his hd anywhere. Seemingly its secondary master. It is ok and working as I copied files accross to it. Please help me as im stumped....

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Win 2000 uses NTFS. The DOS floppy created a FAT partition. Boot from the 2000 CD and install from there.

No idea why the drive is not showing in BIOS, but set it to autodetect or automatic. You may want to clear the CMOS completely. You won't get anywhere with setup until BIOS detects the HD. If there is an option on the first page of BIOS setup for Setup Defaults, or something similar, use those settings.

To make life easier for setup, copy delpart.exe onto the DOS floppy and boot from the floppy. Then run delpart to delete all the partitions on the drive. There do not need to be any partitions defined for setup to start. They are made during the setup process.
    http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.exe

3. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Thanks,

Ok, delpart worked. All partitions deleted.

CMOS though is causing a prob. Still not detecting the hard drive. As I said previously it's there and it's ok as I've copied files to it.

The CD-ROM is still showing as the primary master and autodetect is not picking up the drive at all. I've tried resetting to defaults but nowt's happening.

Any other ideas?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like some jumpers or cables problem.

Why not set the drive you want to install to as primary master and the CD-ROM somewhere else. Any other drives can be disconnected for now. Set the jumpers and get that BIOS to see them :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice