1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh no, It's the blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anslove, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anslove

anslove Thread Starter

Ok, I know very little about computers. I have this stupid Dell laptop that is always giving me problems. Is Dell supposed to be good? Cuz it's not! Anyway, when I tried to turn it on yesterday, I couldn't get the power to come on. I left it alone for a while and then I turned it on again. It finally came up with a black screen that said something like there was a power failure the last time windows closed or something. It asked me if I wanted to boot up normally or in safe mode or the last known good settings. So I picked normal. Then it went to the blue screen with this error:

STOP: c0000218 Registry File Failure
    The registry cannot load the hive (file)\system root\system32\config\software
    or it's log or alternate
    It is corrupt, absent or not writable
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or tech support group for further assistance

uhhh....I'm not really computer saavy, but.... Physical memory dump? That can't be good. Can anyone tell me what I should do? If my computer is toast, is it possible to get files off my hard drive? Please help!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's a bad error. It is either soved by doing a windows "reinstall" -- not necessarily a "clean" install -- or by using the recovery console to do a 3 part recovery. If you do a reinstall first -- this cannot be done.

If you do this improperly -- you will lose data if you still need to do a reinstall. If it does not work and you want to do a reinstall -- you must copy back the registry hives you backed up to their original "system" folder.

Here are the directions:

USING THE RECOVERY CONSOLE TO ACCESS SYSTEM RESTORE

If you do not have an XP CD download cmdcon.cab from Elvandil's post here: http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729&highlight=recovery+console.html

Unzip and burn the cmdcon.iso file to CD. With Nero or Roxio you should only need to "open" the file and it will start the burner's ISO burning program.

DeepBurner can also be used to burn ISO files, I recommend the “portable” version:

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Once that is done, you need to boot with either that or the Home XP CD to the Recovery Console. You may need to ensure that the CD drive is the first boot drive in the BIOS setup if it just boots to the same screen. Setup is accessed by looking for the key to press on the first data you see on the screen -- often F2

Directions are given here:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

There are several things to note about this operation.

1 > it is not a "reinstall" of Windows, but a method of accessing System Restore.

2 > all command lines are one line with appropriate spacing -- the doc file does not always reflect this.

3 > you must complete all 3 parts for it to be a proper restore.

4 > in the first part of this document you are given the command:

copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system

you may get a "file not found" when running this command. If you do, substitute this command instead:

copy C:\windows\repair\system.bak C:\windows\system32\config\system

3. techy689

techy689

Unless there was anything REALLY important on that computer, you should do a reinstall of windows. It removes any other bugs or spyware you may have on there and it will also fix windows in case any of the files were missing. However, if you have already been successful with the system recovery then you should run a virus/spyware scan, and to make sure all windows files are intact go to start>run>cmd> sfc /scannow this will check and make sure, as i said, that all windows files are safe and intact...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice