Oh! No! what have I done! did I kill the CPU!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ecpool

Heres the scoop. Working on a freinds computer. It was acting very strange. Found fan on cpu not working. temporarily install a different size fan on heat sink. Worked great. Tried to find a new
fan but none available accept with heat sink. installed heat sink and fan (heat sink came off extreamly hard....had to pry off) Now nothing works! does not preform POST. I can hear everything powerup ect. I am getting the 12v and 5vs. it is a K6-2/550 AMD in a socket 7 board. How can I check tell if I cooked the chip or motherboard...has anyone else ever done such a thing? I don't have a spare chip or motherboard to try.Help!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The bad news is that there's very little you'll be able to do without parts to swap. The good news is that the processor is $42 at Accubyte shipped. I think when you pried the heatsink off you probably killed the chip. You can't pry on that package that hard and not expect damage. Unless you physically abused it, it's unlikely to be the MB if it was working before you starting working on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online