1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oh noes!!!!1

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jedicmdrwedg, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jedicmdrwedg

jedicmdrwedg Thread Starter

So I just installed the Windows XP upgrade today, and what should I get but an error when attempting to view the contents of my C: drive (from My Computer):
    "Setup was unable to find (or could not read) the language specific resource dll, unable to continue. Please reboot and try again."

Um...what? Also, if it's any help, the disk is labeled the same as my drive (HAL_9000), but the icon is not the standard drive icon. Instead, it's the Midtown Madness CD icon, and I haven't the faintest idea why. I haven't put that CD in any drive on this computer for months.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What OS did you upgrade from? Also, is the XP upgrade a legit cd? *sorry, have to ask*

3. ~Candy~

4. jedicmdrwedg

Yes, it'a a legal copy. It's an upgrade from ME. And now that I look at the right-click menu, it's giving me a menu option to "install Midotwn Madness."

5. jedicmdrwedg

I'll try what it says on that page, even though it doesn't directly relate to my problem.

6. ~Candy~

See my link above.

7. jedicmdrwedg

I did. It doesn't let me clear teh %temp% folder. It's saying some of the files are in use. Is the key to start in safe mode still F8?

8. ~Candy~

9. jedicmdrwedg

Hmm. I deleted pretty much every temporary file, but it persists. I can get in if I right click it and go to Open, but doubleclicking still dun work.

10. ~Candy~

Will it allow you to double click on it in safe mode?

11. jedicmdrwedg

It says the same thing, but the icon is gone.
    This is weird. It seems that there was a copy of the game installed to C:. Deletion of the game from the hard drive did nothing; the files remained. Then I deleted the files, again to no effect. It seems to think the drive is a mixture between a hard drive and a CD-ROM.
    EDIT
    Here, a screenshot of when I right-click the hdd icon:
    [​IMG]

12. ~Candy~

Did you actually run thru the add/remove programs to delete it? If not, can you perhaps try to reinstall it, then remove it correctly?

13. jedicmdrwedg

I didi run through the add/remove thing. I think there were two installations, or the files were copied directly...ugh. I'll try reinstalling the game and then uninstalling it.

14. ~Candy~

Wait a sec.....on your upgrade, did you overinstall, or do you have a dual boot option now?

15. jedicmdrwedg

overinstalled. Reinstalling and uninstalling didn't work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice