1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh Shhhhooot !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tamilynn63, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tamilynn63

tamilynn63 Thread Starter

have been slowing getting pc cleaned up and back in order after having to restore after crash. Nothing has been great since then but now I have really done it.
    Running a registry fix program I looked at some of the "problems it found" and (no lectures please):rolleyes: I was fixing some of them. I was mainly getting rid of program strings that were hanging around after I had uninstalled them but I deleted something I should not have. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think if I restart my PC I will not be able to get into windows but I could be wrong. I am in there now but am very limited as to what I can do. Such as restore to earlier time. Not possible. I get a blank window. I can get a consol and run some commands but cannot use run to get into msconfig and get to safe mode or other. I have no recycle bin, lots folders have gone back to the "unassociated program" look. Going to start I see one program shortcut and "recent documents" but all the other stuff is gone too. I could go on.... but hopefully someone knows what I am talking about?

Need some help. Please let me know what else to post or reports to run because I can do somethings but not a lot.

I was able to run a full system report using everest and saved it to a floppy. looks like the command promt is only place I can get to right now. (as of 5 min ago) No longer have a desk top though files are still in dir.
    any way to find the files to restore to earlier time and make it execute somehow? or suggestions please

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Attached Files:

3. tamilynn63

Great. Going to do so now.

Also, I can access things if I do so in command promt. Noticed that msconfig was requiring me to give it a program to open it. I think I must have deleted the file associations for some system folders or other. Maybe. will let you know if it works.

4. tamilynn63

fyi, I am trying to do this but could not do the easy way. I had to drop onto floppy disk on other pc and then run winzip from command. I imported into my registry but now what? Could not figure out how to make it run on its own after unzipping from command before or after importing into registry

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the file is successfully merged it accomplishes what is called for in this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313853

Sometimes you need to run regedit and select File > Import when the normal registry associations for .reg files are buggered. That is the same as merging it.

Unfortunately it is often not enough to repair the "blank" calendar issue. Sometimes the Wscript 5.6 reinstall will do it, but this whole issue is one of my pet peeves about System Restore -- it is just too dependent on the scripting engine and other operating system registry entries to be reliable when you need it most.

You may need to reinstall some file association patches. Do so for exe, registry and other files from this site:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

If you have an XP CD, you might want to cut to the chase and just do a "repair/reinstall" >>

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

6. tamilynn63

thanks. will try to do this and let you know. not getting anywhere yet.

7. tamilynn63

my parents have the XP disk- not sure why I always get a pc (new) that does not come with the original disks. Reapir is on there? Cut to the chase is right. If that easy will do now. Is it that easy and asks if I want to repair or is it going to do a semi restore job and I will lose all of my other installed programs and such?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Read the instructions on the link I posted carefully -- there are some caveats.

No you should not lose personal data or installed programs.

However if you are trying to reinstall from an XP disk that did not come with your computer -- it may not work. It will want a product key for your system and it may not be compatible with the XP CD from which you are doing the reinstall.

If it does succeed you should only need to reinstall updates subsequent to the reinstalled operating system version.

The reinstall, even if it does succeed, may not fix all problems -- but it will normally fix the most critical ones.

If the system you have is a Compaq, you should go to their site and look up the model number of the Computer you have and review the recovery procedures available for it.

9. tamilynn63

great link for the XP repair. I will be sure to follow the directions
    I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for being there. :)
    Tami

10. tamilynn63

nothing worked. had to restore non destructive. now have ntdlr compressed. XP disk doing nothing. Muat be way to get past this and get a command or something. ? Not sure what good an xp disk is if it cannot get passed the compressed file bit. Afterall, I was not the one that compressed the files!:p

11. tamilynn63

anything I can pull off of xp disk that will run at boot and get me anywhere ?

12. tamilynn63

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You have to give me more details on what "non destructive" recovery method you used, and what error you are currently getting. Use exact quotes whereever possible -- that aids research.

You may be able to boot to the recovery console and copy files if that is an issue. Since you have access to another XP system and a retail CD it may also be possible to boot to "windows" in ram only to get file access using BART PE >

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

or even "puppy linux" >

http://www.puppyos.com/

but this would be a temporary tactical measure, not a fix.

>> there are no "bootdisk" files or utilities that you need to pay for -- it's all available free if you know where to look.

14. tamilynn63

no destructive is when you reboot and have 2 options. F2 for set up and f10 for restore. Restore has full restore- which it calls "destructive" sending pc back to original state. Last resort. The non destructive is jjust the files and programs installed after market. You keep your docs.

message says: ntldr compressed. hit ctrl,alt,delete to restart

15. tamilynn63

thanks for the above. have been looking for info on how to get into recovery console and was clueless. trying now

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice