1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oh what should I do.. graphics card/power supply Q

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Takata, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Takata

Takata Thread Starter

So yeah, its my fault for not doing the proper research. I recently bought the Geforce GTX 660ti without knowing the proper required specs for the power supply wattage. The minimum amount is 450W for the card, and the computer I have is a HPE 400f, and the wattage is only 300. I don't want to install it now and have it burn out my computer. What should I do? Is it easy to buy an upgrade for an HPE power supply? Or should I just get a different graphics card? I don't think I can return it because I bought it from Tigerdirect and they only accept returns for certain products and video cards aren't included. Also I don't think it came with the right amount of PCI pins. One has six while the other only has five? Anyways, what should I do?

2. black-wolf

black-wolf

You will have to significantly downgrade to use that PSU. I wouldn't install the card until I had a new PSU. I don't know the rest of your specs but I'm guessing that a quality 650w - 750w is what you should have, Corsiar, Seasonic PC Power & Cooling or FSP.

3. Takata

Takata Thread Starter

well my specs are, AMD Phenom 2 x 4 945 processor, 3.00 GHz, 8GB of RAM, 64 bit OS, (windows 7 home premium) N-Alvriox RS880- uATX (motherboard). I don't know what else you need?

4. black-wolf

black-wolf

That's enough to keep my recommendation for a PSU as is. You want a PSU with a single 12v rail and most of the ones I recommended will have a single 12v rail.

5. jamesx121

jamesx121

did you open graphic card package????
    maybe eBay or Craigslist if package is unopened.
    List as new- unopened ---

will be hard to sell as new if the package is open.

if you did open package you figured out this card takes two
    PCI-e slots. is PCI-e 3.0, needs two seperate power plug
    connectors from PSU.

6. jamesx121

jamesx121

if plan on building a new system with new
    case , motherboard , cpu, ram, and psu in next
    year or two keep the graphics card.
    you all ready have your first part of build.

7. Takata

Takata Thread Starter

Well I want to avoid trying to buy a new system, I mean my computer is still in good shape although its by no means a true gaming pc specially since its a HP. I just looked up a psu on best buy and saw one called the Apevia 700w (ATX-AQ700W) I think that could handle it, but would it work in my HPE 400f?

8. black-wolf

black-wolf

No it is junk and has 4 12v rails with not enough amps for your video card. Gaming computers and high end video cards require quality PSU's. You can see the specs here for that Apevia http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148040

This would be a good one compare the specs between the 2 this has a single 12v rail and is a quality manufacturer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Not sure if Best Buy has anything in their store or not. I don't buy from them they are overpriced and most everything they have is low end., and their sales people know very little in most cases.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to measure your existing pw supply so you can tell if you can use a standard atx type unit.
    Next here is a link to a decent corsair pw supply. You will see that near the bottom of the page, it gives the dimensions of the unit. Simply measure your existing unit to see if it will fit.

Do not buy a junk pw supply ie raidmax, allied, etc. You purchased a high end video card; buy a pw supply that can reliably pw the card.

You would not buy a new Corvette and put on recapped tires would you? That is what you are doing when you want to install a junk pw supply.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1071665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice