1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ohh no.What error is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobol, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

winXP.
    I connected a UPS- Energizer POWER PROTECTOR[ERHM400].... Its all hooked up properly- both hardware and software. Software console shows it's up and running fine [self tests too]. So I recently found via error logs, that the related XP services.msc task for Uninterruptable power Supply management cannot start, either via Manual or Automatic mode to work in conjunction with the device. The subsequent error message being;-

"Service Control Manager The Uninterruptible Power Supply service terminated with the following error: %%2481 "

Before I reinstall the UPS/ software or contact their techsup. can anyone identify why this problem arises, and if i even need to bother about it, since the UPS console shows all is definately running ok.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

This is because XP already has a UPS service installed and running. It is attempting to communicate with the UPS but the other software is using the port to communicate with it.

3. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

ohhh, interesting! I didn't know that. So is there no problem actually going on here, or what do you suggest I do? Ignore the error log.....? Thanks again in advance. And if possible can you give me a brief outline of how the XP's UPS functions.... ie, time limit etc.,

4. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

Just to add to that, I was getting the same error message prior to forgetting to actually install the software while the UPS itself was connected.

5. doogdoog

doogdoog

Aloha,
    In your control panel, click on Power Options and go to UPS. It looks like you will have to set it up in there if you use XP's UPS service. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

6. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

great, thanx doogdoog and Rockn, I have the UPS service started. But more info would be appreciated; I have the actual UPS connected via a USB and
    I went into Power Ops section and enabled the XP 'UPS' via COM1 since I it was that or COM2 as only options, then I selected the make as custom/generic. So the service is now on automatic and started. A couple of things I'd like to know-
    1. In that section of USB power ops. there's a section listing default options,ie. low battery etc, then on the right hand side are preset options listed as negative[3 of them in a column]- being a electronics doofus, what is the difference between positive and negative in these columns here?
    2. What is this XP USB function, is it merely a link NEEDED for any connected USB hardware, or a seperate self functioning internal backup device that is an optional service?
    Thanks again in advance

7. bobol

bobol Thread Starter

bump up.... need an answer if possible so I can rest assured, though all looks ok.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice