1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ok, has been asked before

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Pyrophorus, Sep 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus Thread Starter

However; I didn't quite understand...

I have a Linksys 4-port router, and 4 computers on the network, which are all wired.

We will be getting internet, through our downstairs neigbours, and they have a 4 port
    Dlink router. I guess I'm looking for way, in which we can get the internet to our 4
    computers, through both those routers.

The neighbours have 3 laptops, through their router.

How can this be accomplished?

2. P47Thunderbolt

P47Thunderbolt

link the two routers together using their uplink port.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

First off don't let the ISP know your doing this because I am pretty sure this violates TOS.

Second if all your ports on your router are full then you may need to purchase more items.

You can set it up so that the wire from the lan side of their router is into your WAN port on your router and this will put you behind 2 NATs but the problem is there that you will have to go through 2 NATS to do things and the neighbors will have to set up the nat to get you working with what you need then you have to do the same on your router.

Pro's - 2 seperate networks

Con's - 2 nats.

Or you can do this -

Run a cable from the D-Link LAn ports to one of the the linksys LAN ports then run a switch off another lan port on the linksys and then connect all your devices to either hte linksys or the switch. Now you and your neighbor are on one big LAN.

See Johnwills explaination on connecting 2 SOHO routers together posted thousands of times on this forum for exact instructions.

Pros - less NAT's

Con's - one large network allowing potential for security problems.

4. Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus Thread Starter

I think we will go this way, since we want to have our network, and our neighbours theirs.
    However; what will need to be changed on the Dlink? Port forwarding for my FTP Server,
    mIRC DCC's, VNC and such? Anything else which may have to be changed?

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Anything that needs a specified port has to "hop" from their router to yours. Just the main thing to note any forwarded port from router 1 to router 2 means the people on router 1 cannot use these ports themselves.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice