OK, heres a list of some DVD-Burners, need major help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AhrenBa

Hello,
I am trying to buy a DVD-Burner for my Dell 4700. I am completely stuck at which brand/model I should get. I have a list here of some models that look good to me, and maybe some of you could help me sort through them and pick a good one. Feel free to list any other brands/models that you like.

Here's the list:

Pioneer
DVR-R110DBK
DVR-R110D
DVR-610B

NEC
ND-3550A
ND-3540A

Sony
DRU810A
DW-Q30A BK

LG
GSA-4167 B BG

Samsung
SH-W162C/BEBN

REMEMBER:
If any of you have any suggestions or other brands/models, feel free to list them. Thanks a ton! :)

NEC and LG's always do well in reviews with the added benefit of being cheap. I went for the NEC model before the ones you list were available. I can't fault it. You will not be disapointed with either of them.

NEC and Pioneer work great for me, I can't ever buy a LG again, I had one Spin a CD so fast the CD shattered sending peices plastic throughout my CD drive and tower, may have been a freak thing, but that was the last LG product I bought.

I also use NEC and it works great--it also is cheaper than the Pioneer, which is good, but i overpriced IMO. You can get NEC at NewEgg for about $40.

alwrmc

B.L.
Consider the I/O Magic DVD Dual Layer with Lightscribe. It is actually the HP 640 model. I bought one yesterday at CompUSA for $59.99 and there is an additional $20 rebate. Not a bad price!

dustyjay

Jay
I do not recommend any Lightscribe disc for reasons I stated during your last thread. The price of the drive itself has definitely come down, but the price of the media is very high and the failure rate of burned discs with the label burned onto them is too high. I will recommend a Lite-on drive. The LG drives are good as well.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4307336

I have used 6 of these in builds recently and not one has giving me even a hiccup.

My first vote is for either the DVR-R110DBK or DVR-R110D which are both the same drive, just different color. They may be a bit more that NEC by a few dollars more, but I've experienced the best quality burns with them (When tied with quality media, such as Fuji, Ritek, or Taiko Yuden disks) (Now I use only OfficeMax disks which are made by Fuji, Imation disks are pretty good as well for most players.)

Second vote goes for either the NEC ND-3550A or ND-3540A , both of which are reputed for quality burning.

I'll probably start a flaming match for saying this, but stay away from the Sony drives, I dumped a DRU810A on a co-worker, was the worse drive I'd ever owned. I guess the only reason for trying it was that the Sony drives are shorter than most for fitting in a tight case.

AhrenBa

Thank you all very much for your responses! I was originally leaning towards the NEC or Pioneer, and it looks like that you all agree both brands are of good quality, so with that said I pretty much have a good idea on what to get. Thanks again for the quick and detailed responses! :)

AhrenBa

Ok, so when I buy the drive, I will be getting it from NewEgg.com. I am curious... should I buy OEM or retail? What would you guys recommend and whats the advantages/disadvantages? Thanks! :)

dustyjay

Jay
OEM usually doesnt come with anything except the drive. No screws cables or software. They are usually less expensive though than retail but not that much when you consider how much the software is gonna cost you. It is possible that the drive manufacturer might have the needed software available free on their website but not likely. I Purchase OEM for myself but Retail for computers I build for others so that they have the software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online