1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OK...Here's the question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by buf, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

I have now slipstreamed my WinXP SP2 and made my self a copy and kept the ISO on my desktop until I get an answer. Can I burn that ISO for a friend who also has the legal retail WinXP install CD to use on his computer? His computer is not like mine and both our computers have the install CD validated and this is why I don't think it would work. As usual, TIA.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your slipstreamed ISO is XP Pro full retail version (not OEM or upgrade) + SP2... and your CD key is not part of the ISO... and your friend owns XP Pro full retail version (not OEM or upgrade)... and installs it using his own CD key... then I would say it's OK.

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

You have captured to a "T" the exact picture. He is savvy enough to know that he has to use his own XP Pro key so if my key is in the ISO, what harm is there? I do not know if the ISO has my key or not---whatever was on my install CD is now on the ISO but I did not enter my key while doing the slipstreaming so he should have no knowledge of what my key is!! Right??

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The CD key is not part of an XP CD... all are identical. So what you are proposing to do should work and is legal as far as I know.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks Frank4d. I didn't think the key was a part of the CD but your question caused me to question. OK, I agree it should work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538797

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice