1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ok people,here is a problem for you'se

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Links2, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Links2

Links2 Thread Starter

A friend of mine has recently started losing access to internet sites(he seems to be able to get online initially but after a few minutes he cannot load up any new pages...this is the message he gets..."Page cannot be displayed"...

He says he thought that Norton Internet Security was causing his problem(probably the firewall part of it) so he proceeded to uninstall it only to get the message that he cannot complete the task because it is requesting Supervisory security logon(which will allow him to continue(he cannot find this function)...

So,he powered down his system and restarted it to see if that would solve his problem(of course because the uninstall was not completed,the icons and files appeared to all be there) but he was now not able to access any of the Norton functions by clicking
    on any of the icons....he can surf the internet foe about 5 minutes now before he eventually gets the "Page cannot be displayed" message...
    NOTE: If he reboots his computer(or renews his ip address)he can access internet sites for about 5-10 minutes before he loses that ability as mentioned above(he has donw this NUMEROUS times...

He then attempts to reinstall Norton(although it was never actually uninstalled) and everything will go smoothly until he is told that he needs supervisory security login again,at which point he is dumped out of the re-install again....Norton appears to be there but not functioning...

Help is requested please...

Windows 98 he is using

2. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn

This could be a problem with the ISP as well. Would not hurt to call and see if it is due to them, and they should fix it.

Otherwise, it may have something to do with Norton, but I have never encountered this really except when I had a 56k. Every once in awhile I would be on the internet for several minutes then "lose connection" to everything and simply get that same "error". This was solved usually by disconnecting form my ISP and shutting down my PC and bring it back up. But it seems it is probably something more in this case.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please state the Brand of the target computer.

Have your friend boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted) and initially try to uninstall the Norton program properly in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

If that does not work, in the Program Files directory right-click delete the appropriate Norton or Symantec folder. If there are other Norton products still installed, either uninstall them first or be sure you do not delete the folder that corresponds.

NIS is unnecessary since there is an excellent free firewall at http://www.sygate.com. A great free anti-virus at http://www.grisoft.com.

4. goose197

goose197

I am having the same problem. I only get internet access of the cable modem for a few minutes before I get no more pages. I have to then reset my IP address. It is an enormous pain in my butt. I have opened a new thread on the subject.
    I do not nor have I ever had Norton on my computer. I run an online McAfee for viruses. My Firewall is a free download. Zone Alarm, which has worked great for the last 8 months.
    I have reloaded win 98 and reset my IRQ and still the problem persists. I need help. Major help. :confused: :confused:

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

goose, it's not the best idea to tag along on the end of thread and I do see you've posted in the Networking forum as well.

Along with your IRQs which don't seem to me to be a problem, but I'm not the best person to judge them, post a copy of your StartupList using the application from the site below.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

I have seen some similar issues caused by the Network card not being well seated, so you might want to check on that.

Post the startup list back to the thread in Networking.

Links: you should do the same thing here with the Startuplist if you can.

Also, you might want to see whether the procedure explained by Dell in this link applies to your Cable modem, I really don't know myself, but it could be a similar issue:

http://forums.techguy.org/t100596/s8e099f66468cf63e79622cc58a317f6a.html

6. Links22

Links22

Thanks for your reply...

I will get my buddy to bring his computer into work tonight and we will get his start-up list set up to copy here...possibly tonight we will get it to you, or maybe tomorrow...we are set up at work to get on the internet, but it is through a whole network system and connecting another non-network computer is pretty tough to do...is it possible?
    Anyways,thanks again and we will talk to you very soon

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't answer the last question really; it may not be possible without installing new protocols, and I don't think I would recommend that with a troubled computer. However if he can get an outside line, independent of their network, and just dial a local access number for his normal dialup ISP, that might work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice