1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ok, quick question:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chaos4001, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

I have two busted comps. The mobo failed on one (although I have a nasty feeling it was caused by the PSU) and the PSU failed on the other. I'm going to combine them both, but I don't feel like messing around too much and finding out one psu is dead, or one motherboard is dead... etc. So, basically, my questions is: what are the bare minimum of components needed to start my computer? I can put the extra stuff in later.

I'm thinking it would be:

Mobo
    Psu
    Ram
    HDD

Missing anything?

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Mobo,psu,1 stick ram,cpu with heatsink and fan,onboard vid or vid card to see bios but not needed really.

3. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

Wait.. the CPU is attached to the mobo... right? If not, what does it look like?

Oh, and while I'm thinking about fans...

Whattya think of these?

And also... what can I expect to pay for a decent PSU if this one I have doesn't work? I want to run 2 disk drives, two HDDs, and probably a high end video card. And lots of fans.

4. pugmug

pugmug Banned

As the mobo's are used I would think the cpu and heatsink with fan are attached now.You give no specs so this is hard to answer. Forget the other fans for now. A decent psu around $50.00 just look at the output rails or lines not the total wattage when buying one.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

The CPU (processor) is located under the aluminum heatsink with the fan on top. Photo of Intel Pentium 4 processor;

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/microprocessor1.htm

The fan you link to is a very "low end" quality fan with a sleeve (bushing) bearing. If you can afford it, you would be much better off buying a fan or fans with ball bearings rather than sleeve bearings. Their live expectancy is much longer than a sleeved bearing fan.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

7. chaos4001

chaos4001 Thread Starter

Alright. Well, I hooked up the old PSU and the fans whirred and the lights came on! Yay!

Now I gotta bring my old monitor down to my workshop... (curse those clunky CRTs...) and check if I can do more than make fans spin.

I'll definitely invest in better fans (I'm doing a case mod soon) and I may not need a new PSU just yet. I can spend some money if I have to though.

I need to hook up that monitor so I can check the BIOS, right? Would someone explain what the BIOS will tell me and why I want to check it? Do I need an HDD installed to check the BIOS?

Also, the old mobo that failed has some really nice equipment, and unless it's all fried, things like the gold Gigabyte... whatever it is and the fairly good Athlon processor are probably worth something. I have a Pentium 4 on my working mobo... should I swap it for the Athlon?

And what kind of specs do you need to be able to help me better? Where should I look for them?

I think those are all my questions... I may not be that great with hardware, but this forum is helping me along quite nicely.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice